The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Need help deciding to lease or not and how (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/need-help-deciding-lease-not-how-93903/)

momo3boys 08-02-2011 09:35 PM

Need help deciding to lease or not and how

I may need to lease out my horse. The person helping me take care of him financially has left me high and dry, and I just cant afford him on my own. He is a 3yo Rocky Mountain (but not papered so I can't call him that). He has been saddled and ridden a few times but needs a lot of work. I would like access to him still to ensure that he is being well cared for. He is currently at a friends barn, but I can't afford the board to keep him there long unless someone leases him. Would an on-farm lease be reasonable? Its not my farm but I trust the BO and BM there. Is there anyone out there crazy enough to do this? Its a big project and I don't want to take advantage of anyone, but I would like to be able to get him back when I have the resources to take care of him on my own.

My only other option is finding someone to let me work off the board and that is hard to do...

momo3boys 08-03-2011 06:44 PM

Any ideas? Even if you are not interested I would love to hear your opinions on what to do...

Dresden 08-03-2011 07:45 PM

Personally, I wouldn't pay to lease a horse, train it for someone, then just give it back once it was trained and ready to go(ie: the lease is up or you are in a better position). I would bet it'd be hard to find someone who would be willing to do that. Most people pay to send their horse to training, the trainer generally doesn't pay for the privilege of training it. That's how I would feel if someone offered me a lease on a horse that needs that much work...
Posted via Mobile Device

momo3boys 08-03-2011 08:23 PM

I totally agree. What if the lease was for a year? Do you think it would matter? I don't need someone to train him, I need someone to help pay for him... Maybe a highschool kid for a project?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dresden 08-03-2011 09:52 PM

Some people might be interested. I just think it might be tough to find and it sounds like you are under a pretty serious time constraint. It doesn't hurt to try though, place an ad and see if you get any interest?
Posted via Mobile Device

AlexS 08-04-2011 01:00 AM

I think you will be limited because of the lack of training of your horse - and then you limit yourself more by wanting an onsite lease.

If I were you, I'd advertise him for lease in general and see what interest you get, as you may as well keep your options as open as you can.

HKM FARM 08-04-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momo3boys (Post 1123578)
I totally agree. What if the lease was for a year? Do you think it would matter? I don't need someone to train him, I need someone to help pay for him... Maybe a highschool kid for a project?
Posted via Mobile Device

I've known people to lease their horses out. Some are required to stay at the same barn others can go to a new place. Most of the time the horses are taken good care of and their training was still good. BUT you do come across those who just aren't horse equipt. I've seen people lease out their horses and come back from the lease and be horrible under saddle, under weight, and just not the same horse that they once had. Some are fixable but not always.

I think you would be best off not leasing him out. If you are doing stall board maybe you think about putting him in the pasture or finding a new place that is cheaper. You don't really want to share your horse do you?

momo3boys 08-05-2011 02:47 PM

HKM I really don't want to lease him out. I am thinking maybe I need to try and find him a place that will let me work off more board. He was at pasture but the owner decided to kick my horse out. It's complicated. Jacoby didn't do anything wrong he was just collateral damage. How would I word an ad asking for a place that would let me work for board? Should I put it on craigs list?

HKM FARM 08-05-2011 03:51 PM

How much is board where you live? I know here in OK stall board with full care is anywhere between $350-$550 and pasture with full care is $125-$225. I have notice that some placed around here offer board with self care, and places like that run $100-200. Do you have any friends who own their own place that would have extra room for a horse? I have a friend who shows with me and she keeps her horse with another friend of ours. She doesn't get charged board but they all trade off taking care of each others horses, feeding, cleaning stalls, working them... Now she does pay for all exspences for the horse. Maybe you can find a place like that and it will give you someone to ride with. As of where to look to find a place like this or some place that is afordable is the key... I would post something on craigs list or look at horseclicks.com to see if there are any close farms to you.