The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Possible Buy - Opinions? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/possible-buy-opinions-93907/)

Poco1220 08-02-2011 10:45 PM

Possible Buy - Opinions?

Young half arab colt. Should mature to 15hh. Technically 3/4 arabian but of course registered half arabian.

Photos: dreamerphotoalbum

Pedigree: Fvf Whispering Dreams Arabian

Sire Info: Elgomej

Dam Info: Whiisper

Opinions? ((BEST news is this boy is only an hour and a half from me!)).

Looking for a complete project from the ground up to eventually be a HUS/English Pleasure horse, possibly h/j, also will need to do trail/road riding.

Eliz 08-02-2011 10:48 PM

Its so hard to tell this young as I'm sure you know!

The good thing about arabs is they're versitile, so this cross should be able to do what you want. I've sort of been stalking your other prospects (hehe), and IMO this is the best one so far :)

Poco1220 08-02-2011 11:00 PM

I thoroughly appreciate the stalking. I'd rather have you guys look at 50 before saying "YES! THAT ONE!" Than go pick up something "cute" and ending up with a worthless animal.

I know it's hard to judge this young that's why I also added his sire and dam and pedigree, it at least gives people an idea of what he came from.

momo3boys 08-02-2011 11:51 PM

Adorable! I can't wait to hear what you decide to get. I'm not a big Arab person so I can't help you there.

smrobs 08-03-2011 12:26 AM

I don't know much about pedigrees on Arabs so I can only really judge from the photos and I like what I see. Straight, strong looking legs, good shoulder angle, he'll probably grow up to have a fairly short back (I consider that a plus, I don't know if Arab folks do or not LOL).

ScharmLily 08-03-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1122439)
Straight, strong looking legs, good shoulder angle, he'll probably grow up to have a fairly short back (I consider that a plus, I don't know if Arab folks do or not LOL).

I do! Makes them much stronger. Sorry I can't say anything other than that he is very cute :)

Elana 08-03-2011 10:20 AM

This one has better pedigree than the others.. or 75% of his pedigree is better than the others. I do not like his dam's hind quarters and leg. The coupling is rough and the hind leg is very straight.

At this age it is impossible to say if he will likewise develop her coupling or leg.

When buying a foal you need to very very critical of the sire and the dam as the apple does not usually fall far from the tree.

That being said, there was a foal I saw at a local horse farm a few years ago.. a warmblood filly. I really liked her as a weanling.. then she matured.. and I knew both sire and dam and this horse was like something else... one of the worse comformations I have seen on a horse in a LONG time. Big filly with a neck so short it was grotesque looking.. Mutton withers.. and so on. All she had going for her was good bone and lots of chrome. A horse that was so poor that I could not imagine her having a sound day in her life if she were broken to ride.

A foal is ALWAYS a risk loaded crap shoot.. the better the lines USUALLY the less risk, but not always.

Of course you know this I am sure.

equiniphile 08-03-2011 04:05 PM

I like this boy a lot. I would go check him out, get a feel for his personality, watch him run around in the pasture.

Poco1220 08-03-2011 04:19 PM

Just emailed the owner about going to see him on Satuday. I will be taking money along for a deposit (just in case). He can't go home until weaning in October which is fine by me. I do love that they have both his dam and sire on site so I can get a good look and some photos of them as well.

Poco1220 08-03-2011 08:56 PM

Okay! Definitely going to see him on Saturday morning (YAY!). Being a foal I'm a little thrown off on what exactly I want to look for and ask about? His sire and dam (obviously) are on site so I will be checking them out and their personalities. But as far as the colt himself what do I need to make sure to ask/look for/do? Keep in mind he is YOUNG and won't be weaned until October so I can't really expect him to know much but there is plenty of time once he gets home to start working on the majors (clipping, loading, feet, handling, leading, tying, etc.) Opinions?

And YES I will take pictures...