The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Trainers Or Clinicians That Others Recommend For Working With Foals?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/trainers-clinicians-others-recommend-working-foals-93941/)

WhoaNow 08-03-2011 10:52 AM

Trainers Or Clinicians That Others Recommend For Working With Foals??

Can anyone recommend a favorite trainer/clinician that they've liked when working with young horses (weanlings - 2 years old)??

I'm a big fan of both John Lyons and Clinton Anderson,
but I didn't know who else has videos, books, etc. out, specific to raising
a young foal up to the 'under saddle' stage???

I have a good friend who just bought a baby, and she was looking to me for suggestions.
I have mostly dealt with mature/ broke horses, although I did raise one baby some many years ago:wink:.

mbender 08-03-2011 10:58 AM

The only dvd I watched was Clinton Andersons. I want to add that most of the basic principles you use on a adult horse you can use on a foal. Only with a foal you need to be careful not to over do it. Working with pressure and desensitizing is a very good start. Sensitizing them to touch is another good start.
Posted via Mobile Device

hjracer 08-03-2011 11:10 AM

I really like Clinton Anderson's video series, Handling Foals, Weanlings, and Yearlings. It is very informative and explains all the way through an untouched 2 week old foal up to a yearling. If you want one for a little bit older horse, he also has a really nice video series on colt starting, which breaks down how to initially train a horse to be ridden. Hope this helps!

WhoaNow 08-03-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbender (Post 1122848)
The only dvd I watched was Clinton Andersons.
I want to add that most of the basic principles you use on a adult horse you can use on a foal.
Only with a foal you need to be careful not to over do it. Working with pressure and desensitizing is a very good start.
Sensitizing them to touch is another good start.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjracer (Post 1122861)
I really like Clinton Anderson's video series, Handling Foals, Weanlings, and Yearlings.
It is very informative and explains all the way through an untouched 2 week old foal up to a yearling.
If you want one for a little bit older horse, he also has a really nice video series on colt starting,
which breaks down how to initially train a horse to be ridden.

Hope this helps!

Thank you both!!:D
Looks like CA is a winner, LOL.
I've always been a big fan of his training techniques,...,
I might buy her the dvd as a 'baby gift'!!!

Has anyone seen/read John Lyons' Bringing Up Baby?
I remember that being a book title he had written.??

Please keep the advice/suggestions coming.
Thanks!

candandy49 08-03-2011 11:48 AM

Of my being of the geriatric (senior citizen :lol:) generation I studied the teachings of Robert M. Miller, D.V.M. who was affiliated with the magazine, The Western Horseman. At one time I had 2 videos of Doctor Roberts handling of young foals. I'll try to run down among the clutter here at home the videos. While rummaging through my personal library I did find a copy of "Imprint Training of the Newborn Foal" by Robert M. Miller, D.V.M. I also had at one time a book authored by Cherry Hill by the title, Birth to Two Years. I've obviously loaned it out and never got it back, but that is okay or I may have just forgotten that I gave it as a donation to someone needing the info offered up by the author.

mbender 08-03-2011 12:16 PM

Candy, I've seen that video also. Very good information.

I read that book about bringing up baby. I think every clinician out there has good info to offer. Monty Roberts is another good clinician. You have to formulate your own opinion on how you want this foal to be trained. Your friend needs to. Whatever you do with the baby all the way up to adult is training. So be very careful not to let simple little things of nautiness slide. Even when something seems cute can become a danger later.
Posted via Mobile Device

WhoaNow 08-03-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candandy49 (Post 1122881)
Of my being of the geriatric (senior citizen :lol:) generation I studied the teachings of Robert M. Miller, D.V.M.
who was affiliated with the magazine, The Western Horseman.
At one time I had 2 videos of Doctor Roberts handling of young foals.
I'll try to run down among the clutter here at home the videos.
While rummaging through my personal library I did find a copy of "Imprint Training of the Newborn Foal" by Robert M. Miller, D.V.M.
I also had at one time a book authored by Cherry Hill by the title, Birth to Two Years.
I've obviously loaned it out and never got it back, but that is okay or I may have just forgotten
that I gave it as a donation to someone needing the info offered up by the author.

I'm a Dr. Miller fan also, having seen him on RFD.
I've not read anything by him tho.
I thought of him, but I thought he was mostly about Imprinting, and this baby will be about 5 months when she is picked up.

Thanks for the suggestions:wink:.

WhoaNow 08-03-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbender (Post 1122913)
Candy, I've seen that video also. Very good information.

I read that book about bringing up baby.
I think every clinician out there has good info to offer.
Monty Roberts is another good clinician.
You have to formulate your own opinion on how you want this foal to be trained.
Your friend needs to.
Whatever you do with the baby all the way up to adult is training.

So be very careful not to let simple little things of nautiness slide.
Even when something seems cute can become a danger later.

Posted via Mobile Device

I wrote her an email yesterday warning about that same thing:shock:.
Thanks for the reminder:wink:

Doe 08-03-2011 12:58 PM

I have studied Milers imprinting work in depth, and thought it would be a great concept. Unfortunately on reflection I have to say I am not a fan, and think it is generally an unwise method. There is a growing body of evidence against it, and certainly it is not for those without EXTENSIVE experience.

Some basic handling etc is fine, then try to turn them out and let them be a foal is my preferred approach. They will learn more important lessons from other horses than ourselves, and this 'horse foundation' is often missing in horses that are not allowed the 'natural' development process for whatever reason.

WhoaNow 08-03-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doe (Post 1122958)
I have studied Milers imprinting work in depth, and thought it would be a great concept.
Unfortunately on reflection I have to say I am not a fan, and think it is generally an unwise method.
There is a growing body of evidence against it, and certainly it is not for those without EXTENSIVE experience.

Some basic handling etc is fine, then try to turn them out and let them be a foal is my preferred approach.
They will learn more important lessons from other horses than ourselves,
and this 'horse foundation' is often missing in horses that are not allowed the 'natural' development process for whatever reason.

Good advice,..., they own one other horse, a gelding.
It's going to be very different from the situation this baby is coming from.
The foal is an Asssateague Pony, bought at Pony Penning this year.

I'm interested in helping her, although a little unsure??
I definitely don't want to see it grow into a spoiled brat, which unfortunately, can, and does happen :?.