The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Applying aids from walk to trot to canter. (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/applying-aids-walk-trot-canter-93962/)

Spyder 08-03-2011 01:20 PM

Applying aids from walk to trot to canter.

This thread is going to be somewhat like the half halt thread.

So who wants to go first.

Explain how you would go to each transition with the least movement ( rider), best results (horse).

This is assuming you are going from walk to trot to canter one after the other with maybe 10-20 strides of each.

kitten_Val 08-03-2011 01:43 PM

Just kick. Better intense! Left leg, then right leg, then left again. And don't forget to halt with the fingers! :rofl:

Spyder 08-03-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1123104)
Just kick. Better intense! Left leg, then right leg, then left again. And don't forget to halt with the fingers! :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Weeeellll ummmm...remember what happened in your last test?

We must remember that each gait requires the horse to move its legs differently.

Cinnys Whinny 08-03-2011 02:02 PM

To ask for a walk I simply give a slight squeeze (like a tube of toothpaste) and relax below the hips to follow my horse. I continue to follow and then to move on to the trot a give a slight squeeze again and relax as he moves forward. If I'm in a sitting trot I allow my body to follow and move with my horse, if I'm posting I make sure not to collapse my chest or drop my shoulder (my two big bad habits) and time my post to the pace I want my horse to go. When I want the canter I sit deep, give a squeeze with outside leg and block slightly with outside leg.... if I'm on Cinny. If I'm on my trainers horse it's outside leg inside rein because my trainer says that's the "proper" way, just that Cinny gets confused with that way so my trainer and I have given up and do outside rein on him lol.

equiniphile 08-03-2011 02:08 PM

I know my methods wouldn't work for dressage, because of not allowing voice commands, but when I ask Excel for a walk I squeeze him forward with my legs and use my driving seat to push him forward. From walk to trot, I squeeze again with both of my legs and cluck. From trot to canter or walk to canter I put my outside leg behind the girth and inside leg at the girth, support him with my inside rein but use my outside rein to make sure he doesn't overbend to the inside, squeeze with my legs and kiss to him.

Spyder 08-03-2011 02:20 PM

Both of the above answers are what most do but nowhere do these aids allow for the different movement of the leg from the walk to the trot to the canter.

Both have said "squeeze" but if you referred to the half halt thread any squeeze at any time will affect ONE set of legs and not all four. This means that one hind leg will get the message...but not the other ( resulting in possible crookedness).

Also I would be asking for an aggressive ( under control) movement from one gait to the other.

Three gaits...should equal tree slightly different aids.

sarahver 08-03-2011 02:34 PM

*deep breath*

OK I'm going to play this game again, please excuse my vernacular. Or lack there of.

Walk to trot: When the outside (front) leg is about to be picked up, I put my inside leg on the girth, hold my outside leg steady and (here is my terrible explanation) I just begin posting with the expectation of rising to the outside leg. Driving seat of sorts if you will.

Trot to canter: When the inside leg is about to be lifted (i.e. when I am in the sitting phase of a rising trot) I ask for bend with the inside rein, steady with the outside, open my inside hip/pelvic area, apply some heel (if necessary) behind the girth of the inside leg and hold the outside leg steady.

In the right frame of mind, Bobbie will pick up the correct lead simply by opening the inside hip angle. In the wrong frame of mind it takes some leg.

Spyder 08-03-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahver (Post 1123179)
*deep breath*

OK I'm going to play this game again, please excuse my vernacular. Or lack there of.

Walk to trot: When the outside (front) leg is about to be picked up, I put my inside leg on the girth, hold my outside leg steady and (here is my terrible explanation) I just begin posting with the expectation of rising to the outside leg. Driving seat of sorts if you will.

Trot to canter: When the inside leg is about to be lifted (i.e. when I am in the sitting phase of a rising trot) I ask for bend with the inside rein, steady with the outside, open my inside hip/pelvic area, apply some heel (if necessary) behind the girth of the inside leg and hold the outside leg steady.

In the right frame of mind, Bobbie will pick up the correct lead simply by opening the inside hip angle. In the wrong frame of mind it takes some leg.

Getting there but where do you think you can more seamlessly use (with minor adjustment) use the SAME aids for all three gaits, relying on principally using the horse's body movement and knowing which hind leg to affect to change each gait.

FoxyRoxy1507 08-03-2011 03:21 PM

walk:
think walk and slighly wiggle my heels and soften my hand to allow horse to move into bridle, pushing with my hip forward to drive horse
trot:
think trot, slightly squeeze/wiggle heels and control gait with my seat
canter:
sit deep, and tall slight sponge of inside hand for slight flexion of the poll, inside leg at the girth to maintain and advise of forward motion, outside leg back with slight tap to advise which lead to pick up. weight in inside seatbone and slightly pushed forward when asking with leg aids.

Spyder 08-03-2011 03:49 PM

So to all those that answered what results have you gotten ????

Describe in response from the horse....such as in immediate response, straightness, weak transition at times or ????.

Always the same transition ( strength, weak, balanced etc)???