The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Vaccinations??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/vaccinations-93978/)

heartprints62 08-03-2011 04:24 PM

Vaccinations???

My property shares a fencelines with a horse owner on the south and another neighboring horse owner on the east. Yesterday we found my south neighbors colt, dead, caught up in some vines and fencing. As I was helping them untangle the colt we got to talking about thier other horses. I found out that 3 weeks ago they had a mare put down because of West Nile. So I asked them, just out of curiosity, did the horses have vaccinations and current Coggins papers.... of course NO! :shock:
So this morning I passed by my east neighbor and stopped to chat about the poor dead colt. Now this neighbor has a "higher quality" horse, if I may, and are much better taken care of, but I asked anyways, what she vaccinates for and if they have current Coggins. She tells me "No way, I don't pay for horse shots! If the Lord wants them, he can have them." :shock::shock::sad:

So now I find out that my horses are sharing TWO fencelines with completely healthcare-neglected horses....... When we moved here the property manager assured me that horses had to be vaccinated and keep current Coggins (because we live inside city limits). And of course this afternoon my filly has a snotty nose!!!! GREAT!!!! So were going to the vet tomorrow. She hasn't been vaccinated yet since I've only had her 3 weeks, she was completely untouched when I got her. She's halter broke and leading decently now.

My question to everyone is what all do you vaccinate for and why??

PaintHorseMares 08-03-2011 07:51 PM

For our mares (very little travel or outside horse contact), we use a 6-way vaccine (typically Fluvac Innovator 6) and rabies every spring, no West Nile, no strangles.

Beauseant 08-04-2011 12:14 AM

My two horses live on a farm that is a private residence and there are no other horses nearby...

This year they got:

Rabies: ALWAYS IMPORTANT, but even more so since my horses now live way up in the mountains and have alot of wildlife around them.

Tetnus: Also always important as horses are carriers of tetnus and their lives are very "soil oriented".

EEE, WEE: the enchapalitis(sp?) diseases.

West Nile because...well because mosquitoes are everywhere.

Potomac Horse Fever: due to our geographical location

We did not get strangles or flu because those are carried from horse to horse and there are no other horses around where my two are. Our vet suggested only the tick/mosquito borne disease vaccines and of course tetnus and rabies.

trailhorserider 08-04-2011 01:22 AM

We do 4-way and West Nile (West Nile was in our area a few years back).

I believe the 4-way includes tetnus, influenza and Eastern / Western Encephalmyalitis (or however that's spelled).

I think rabies would be a good idea, living in the woods and all, but my vet doesn't feel it's needed for some reason.

I think vaccines are cheap insurance. I would rather feel I did everything than loose a horse to a preventable disease.

MoodIndigo 08-04-2011 01:37 AM

My horse gets almost everything covered --

- 4-way (tetanus, eee, wee, flu)
- rabies
- botulism -- we feed round bales in the pasture
- west nile -- mosquitoes EVERYWHERE
- strangles -- we travel to events in various places - you never know.

and id like to add Potomac horse fever to that list as well.

Beauseant 08-04-2011 01:49 AM

Indigo, I see you are in PA, so am I....south central PA, near the MD border.

I was wondering, has your vet reccomended you get Potomac ??

If not, have you asked him/her about it?

Most vets down here in southern PA absolutely reccomend it....I don't know how it is in other parts of the state, though.

MoodIndigo 08-04-2011 02:04 AM

I'm in Western PA, the Pittsburgh area. My vet didn't say anything about it... Indy has never gotten that vaccine. I would probably get it though.

candandy49 08-04-2011 08:10 AM

I have only my mare here now with no other horses close by sharing fence lines so I have been giving her only annual tetanus toxoid vaccinations. However, back when we had up to five and I trailered to trail rides where there could be up to 200 horses, to Saddle Club Playdays, Rodeos and parades I did an annual 7-way vaccination and of course Coggins testing.

The 7-way vacc included Rhino, Influenza, Tetanus, EEE, WEE, VEE and EVH1-2. I once suggested to my Vet we do a Rabies vacc, but he didn't think it was necessary.

At 24 years of age my beloved mare is as healthy as she can be and we have been each other's for 16 years.

Alwaysbehind 08-04-2011 09:21 AM

What one vaccinates for really depends on where they live.

Different parts of the country have different issues so it requires a different vaccination protocol.

I follow the guidelines my vet suggests for my area and my horse.

heartprints62 08-04-2011 11:00 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses. It interesting to see what is needed in different areas (taking notes, as I LOVE to travel with my horses!)

I worry about my east neighbors horses because she does travel to shows, playdays, and trail rides and her horses not being vaccinated just invites the "bugs" to travel on home with her and infect my horses as well.

Headed to the vet this afternoon, we just moved so I'll see what this vet suggests for this area.