The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Clyde's Hooves - Before and Afters! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/clydes-hooves-before-afters-94009/)

KeroKero 08-03-2011 10:31 PM

Clyde's Hooves - Before and Afters!
 
4 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

Some of you may remember my Draft X gelding Clyde that I aquired a month ago to save him from going to auction from a neglectful home, and decided to keep as my first horse due to his great temperment (and tolerance of my green-ness!).

Well I finally got the before and after shots from that first day he arrived at the boarding facility - this was also the first time I'd ever seen this horse at all. He was delivered on July 3rd and trimmed as soon as he stepped off the trailer, and just on July 30th got his second trim, so new pictures will be taken of his progess sometime in the next few days - and every trim after that until his hooves are 100%. I thought I'd start a thread and keep updating it as he goes :)

(I'm attaching all the pics together as one sheet, and also including three duplicates of the most dramatic ones so you can get a better look!)

1)left=before trim, right=after first trim
Attachment 71534

2) Worst hoof close up, front left - large crack going up to coronet band
Attachment 71535

3)Underneath view of one of the hooves, before trim
Attachment 71536

4) Underneath of hoof after trim, still very flat, lots of false sole, but the frogs are in okay shape
Attachment 71537

natisha 08-03-2011 10:42 PM

Holy cow! That poor horse.
He's so lucky to have you caring for him now. Thank you for saving him.

In my perfect dream world my job would be to immediately arrest anyone bringing a horse like that to an auction. No excuses allowed-instant jail time.

Domino13011 08-03-2011 11:05 PM

:shock: Wow they all already looking so much better. Some people are just...dumb:evil:. Poor horse, at least he has a good home now.

Golden Horse 08-03-2011 11:06 PM

WOW they were some horrible hooves there:shock:

Good job so far, it will be great to watch his progress

crimson88 08-03-2011 11:15 PM

Looks sooooo much better!! Probably feels much more comfortable now.

KeroKero 08-03-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natisha (Post 1123726)
In my perfect dream world my job would be to immediately arrest anyone bringing a horse like that to an auction. No excuses allowed-instant jail time.

One of the worst parts (there are many bad parts!) was having to suck up to the previous owners. Telling them it was no big deal, and being really friendly to them, so they would give him to me, rather than selling him at auction >_< They told me over the phone he only needs trims twice a year - to which I just said in a happy tone "that's great!" - in the back of my mind my mind I was so angry. Even though I knew pretty much nothing about horses, I knew that was far from the truth and total idiocy... and even then they hadn't trimmed him at all in a year or two!!! twice a year my butt..

"uh huh, that's no problem!! :D :D :D"

Rachel1786 08-03-2011 11:19 PM

WOW! from the original pic you posted you couldn't tell just how bad his feet were, it's amazing he could walk on those things! Last year(8/16) I got a rescue mare who came from new holland, the rescue we(we being myself and the person who was paying for her who lives in Florida) were working with told us that she hadn't foundered and that she just needed a few trims to be sound. When the mare, Faith got to me she couldn't even walk off the trailer and into her stall, it took over an hour to get her off and into the stall. The vet came out the next day and took x-rays and the coffin bone(which was very mis-shapen, I have the x-rays posted in my barn under faith) was just about through her sole, we put her to sleep on my sons birthday, 8/17. I didn't mean to ramble on like that, it's just so amazing that he could even walk. Did you do any x-rays on him? Is he sound?

KeroKero 08-03-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel1786 (Post 1123775)
WOW! from the original pic you posted you couldn't tell just how bad his feet were, it's amazing he could walk on those things! Last year(8/16) I got a rescue mare who came from new holland, the rescue we(we being myself and the person who was paying for her who lives in Florida) were working with told us that she hadn't foundered and that she just needed a few trims to be sound. When the mare, Faith got to me she couldn't even walk off the trailer and into her stall, it took over an hour to get her off and into the stall. The vet came out the next day and took x-rays and the coffin bone(which was very mis-shapen, I have the x-rays posted in my barn under faith) was just about through her sole, we put her to sleep on my sons birthday, 8/17. I didn't mean to ramble on like that, it's just so amazing that he could even walk. Did you do any x-rays on him? Is he sound?


That is SO SAD I can't even handle it T__T you tried right? What else can you do... Poor thing.

Clyde had to walk about 50 feet from trailer to the post we tied him to for his first trim, those 50 steps were obviously difficult for him.. but since that day, he has never shown any sign of lameness, or soreness, except for about the first week he would not walk on any gravel. He never had a single abscess like the trimmer said he most likely would.

He's completely sound, happy, healthy and even rideable - in fact we are putting a bit in that horses mouth for the first time later this week! I've ordered a nice simple eggbutt snaffle to get him started :)

And that's right those first pictures I posted of him, in which the hooves don't look too bad? those are the pictures the previous owner sent me, before he was delivered. Maybe not so recent, huh!!:evil:

natisha 08-03-2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel1786 (Post 1123775)
WOW! from the original pic you posted you couldn't tell just how bad his feet were, it's amazing he could walk on those things! Last year(8/16) I got a rescue mare who came from new holland, the rescue we(we being myself and the person who was paying for her who lives in Florida) were working with told us that she hadn't foundered and that she just needed a few trims to be sound. When the mare, Faith got to me she couldn't even walk off the trailer and into her stall, it took over an hour to get her off and into the stall. The vet came out the next day and took x-rays and the coffin bone(which was very mis-shapen, I have the x-rays posted in my barn under faith) was just about through her sole, we put her to sleep on my sons birthday, 8/17. I didn't mean to ramble on like that, it's just so amazing that he could even walk. Did you do any x-rays on him? Is he sound?

It was wonderful that you tried to help her & you did help her. You gave her a day of love & caring & gave her a peaceful passing that she would not have had otherwise. Thank you

natisha 08-03-2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeroKero (Post 1123770)
One of the worst parts (there are many bad parts!) was having to suck up to the previous owners. Telling them it was no big deal, and being really friendly to them, so they would give him to me, rather than selling him at auction >_< They told me over the phone he only needs trims twice a year - to which I just said in a happy tone "that's great!" - in the back of my mind my mind I was so angry. Even though I knew pretty much nothing about horses, I knew that was far from the truth and total idiocy... and even then they hadn't trimmed him at all in a year or two!!! twice a year my butt..

"uh huh, that's no problem!! :D :D :D"

In my dream job I wouldn't have to hold my tongue either. I admire people like you who can do & say the right things for the good of the animal.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0