The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Passier Lederbalsam? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/passier-lederbalsam-94077/)

DejaVu 08-04-2011 01:45 PM

Passier Lederbalsam?

Has anyone used it?

I've heard pretty good things about it, but I'm kind of confused as to how it's applied and such? And what kind of substance is it? It's hard, or a cream-like, or more watery??

How have you seemed to feed about how it effects your leather?

I'm almost out of conditioner, and have thought about buying this stuff. Would I still need a normal conditioner as well, or is this enough to condition it all?

nicole25 08-04-2011 03:25 PM

I saw it when I was in Dover Saddlery yesterday. I asked the one go to girl I always ask questions to which one she would recommend and use because I just bought a Pessoa and she told me to get the Stubben Hamanol. I got it and used it yesterday, its pretty thick, I spread it out on a sponge and did my entire saddle with 2 sponge fulls. I then whipped is down with a clean dry wash cloth. It was easy to use comes in a tube and only took me like ten minutes to do, it was my first time doing it so I went sorta slower.

MySerenity 08-04-2011 06:50 PM

I bought the lederbalsam a couple weeks ago and I like it. It is hard to describe. It's very similar to the old fiebings tack wax (that sadly doesn't exist anymore). It is a very soft bright yellow wax. It says to apply it with a sponge but I used by fingers and it was very easy to use. I left it on my paddock boots for a couple days and then buffed it really quick before I rode. I'm happy with it. I haven't gotten the courage to use it on my light oil saddle, but I will eventually.

Nutty Saddler 08-05-2011 01:05 AM

be careful if you use a sponge or cloth with any dressing - if a grain of dirt gets into the mix from your saddle you will scratch your leatherwork - it is best put on with your hands , firstly you will feel anything that should not be there and secondly the heat from your hand will help the leather absorb the dressing faster.

upnover 08-09-2011 12:52 AM

I use it when my saddle needs a light coat of conditoner. It's kind of a soft stickyish almost waxy substance... (agreed, hard to describe!) You just need a little otherwise it'll make your saddle greasy. It makes the surface pretty but i don't think it will deep down condition, although I do like it better then most conditioners out there.