The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   I need to advice for speaking english ... (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/i-need-advice-speaking-english-94098/)

chamalo 08-04-2011 03:44 PM

I need to advice for speaking english ...

I hope I don't make mistakes if I post my "problem" here.
In September, I have marks about my work in English because I'm in a secondary school. So, I believe I don't progress ... And I need to advice for speaking English. I watch TV in English, I listen to the radio, I read books ... and I speak in this forum. I always need to the dictionary because I don't always understand ... And, in September, I can't use it! I should learn vocabulary, but often I can't remember. I think too I don't talk enough ... So ... I need to your help, and your advice.

LoveStory10 08-05-2011 10:47 AM

Welcome :)

First of all, your English is very very good, not at all bad. What is your first language?

What I find helpful, because I'm learning another language, is write a vocabulary list; English with your first language translation. I do it often, each time with different words. Then I start making sentences and phrases with the words, but I try to do it without looking to much. Once I've done that I put it up on the wall, and I kind of teach my self; I talk as much as I can in that language, or I "teach" my dog lol. Do you have anyone you can talk to, who can help you?

Best of luck! :)

chamalo 08-05-2011 01:27 PM

Thank you for your advice! ♥ So, I will teach my cats and my horses ^^.
I speak French and I learn Spanish.
No ... nobody can speak with me. I speak in this forum and, that's all ...

LoveStory10 08-05-2011 01:43 PM

It's my pleasure :) Yes, teach your animals, that's what works for me. :)

Spastic_Dove 08-05-2011 02:15 PM

What about a language exchange? You could find a penpal who wants to learn french and you could write to eachother in the two languages, skype, etc so you could both practice and 'tutor' theother

TaMMa89 08-06-2011 05:37 PM

That exchange sounds like a good idea, also I'd suggest it.

As to learning language, using it is the most important thing. This forum is for example a very good tool as to learning English; English isn't my 1st language either and when I came here, I really sucked in it (had gotten the 2nd second grade in it in my then brand new upper secondary school certificate of matriculation and there wouldn't have been a way that I had written that language without a pile of guide books, dictionaries etc with me)... nowadays I just use an online dictionary if I don't know something and that doesn't happen all the time. So I can basically say that the Horse Forum taught me to write English :wink:. When you keep reading, writing and speaking yourself, you'll learn it. Just make that learning meaningful to you, find a forum, a penpal or something that motivates you to learn. It's also good to remember that there are also online dictionaries on web, those can be very quick & easy to use.

Gallop On 10-27-2011 09:30 PM

Ooh, I would be glad to be a penpal! :D English is my first (and only) language And I still stink at it...

Reiterin 10-27-2011 09:58 PM

I like the idea of "teaching your pets" a language. I speak to my horse in german. well, sort of.

Chamalo, you seem to have very good english already. You only have some minor mistakes in word order and grammar. But I think you are well on your way to being fluent. Just keep practicing anyway that you can. Like Tamma said, 'make the learning meaningful to you' and I think you'll do well.