The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   May move to Washington, D.C.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/may-move-washington-d-c-94123/)

Skyseternalangel 08-04-2011 09:24 PM

May move to Washington, D.C..

Does anyone in the Washington D.C area know of any pasture/run boarding facilities around there that I could board my horse?

I'm really having a hard time deciding if I should move or not.. I want a fresh start for my horse and I.

My parents told me 3 days ago that they are up and moving and if I wanted to go with them. If I didn't, I'd have to find living arrangements, a new car, pay for all of my stuff (health, dental, car, etc.)

I have two jobs and am working on an online degree so it's a very exhausting lifestyle and I'm not sure it'd be much fun for an 18 yr old :/

Please help!

GreyRay 08-04-2011 09:34 PM

Your horse would more than likely have to live 40 or so miles away from you, and its still extremely expensive =/
Posted via Mobile Device

ilovemyPhillip 08-04-2011 10:00 PM

I live about an hour or two from DC. Where I board is $225 pasture board. I love my barn.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 08-04-2011 11:34 PM

Well.. then I rather have that exhausting lifestyle than not be able to see my horse.

Thanks GreyRay :)

kathryn 08-05-2011 05:43 PM

The barn I ride at in Poolesville, MD, pasture board is 275 a month and its wonderful. I love it.

Shenandoah 08-07-2011 11:09 PM

I am at a barn near South Riding, VA and love it. We have a sand ring with regular jumps, a small grass ring, a large grass ring with "cross-country" style jumps, and lots of trails (for the time being, development is slowly taking over).

Pasture board is $300/month, but includes personalized feedings twice/day (grain provided at individualized amounts for each horse, supplements added if supplied by owner), blanketing, fly masks put on/taken off, etc all included in that cost.

It's a relaxed atmosphere. Not many people show, or else just show for fun. A lot of us do judged pleasure rides (trail rides with obstacles along the way). There's a mixture of disciplines.

BTW, I see your profile says you're in Colorado. I moved to northern Virginia (DC metro area) three years ago after living in Colorado for 22 years - the majority of my childhood (Woodland Park), followed by my college years (Boulder) and early career (Longmont/Lyons). If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

franknbeans 08-07-2011 11:42 PM

It sort of depends upon where your family ends up in reality. To just say "washington DC" could be a LOT of different areas. People commute from all over, most of which have beautiful areas for horses, and you can find pasture board for around the prices listed above. I have no idea what the board is like where you are, but I do find that there are not a lot if indoor arenas (compared to the north) and when you find them , they can be pricey. But ito is really relative. People also tend to make more $$ than many areas also. Let us know at least a state.....county if you can and I am sure there is someone who can help you. I have boarded in both maryland and Virginia. Very similar.

Skyseternalangel 08-08-2011 08:24 AM

Shenandoah I am SO very interested in finding new information as my parents really don't want me working myself to such exhaustion so they've decided that we go as a family--horse included :)

Franknbeans, we're not 100% sure we're we'll be yet.. when I find out I will provide updates asap!!

Thanks everyone

franknbeans 08-08-2011 08:28 AM

Keep us updated.....what kind of riding do you do? (so that we can help find a good fit)

Skyseternalangel 08-08-2011 08:37 AM

I was doing English, specifically dressage but right now I'm just working on boosting his confidence (and of course mine) on trails and around people and busy things and outdoor arenas (he always gets very distracted when we are outside rather than in.) I just want somewhere that he can be taken care of and have access to green grass.