The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Help would be nice..... (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/help-would-nice-94133/)

crosscountryrider17 08-04-2011 09:43 PM

Help would be nice.....

anyone know what size horse i should get and what type? Message me if you can help me. Thank you!!

redape49 08-04-2011 09:55 PM

Height, weight and experience level? Also, what discipline?

ChingazMyBoy 08-04-2011 10:06 PM

What type of riding would you like to do? How much experience do you have? Do you want a horse that can show you the ropes or that is more like a project.

If you can give us some more details about yourself & your goals as a rider it would be much easier and we would be able to give you much more, reliable information.

crosscountryrider17 08-05-2011 12:19 PM

well i have been around horses my whole life. my riding level would be about intermediate. i would like to ride in cross country and or show in dressage. i am about 5'5'' and weight 240 pounds but hopefully going down. i am 16 so i want a horse i can kiknd of grow with.

morabhobbyhorse 08-05-2011 01:06 PM

Hi Crosscountry. I don't know a lot about dressage because I ride western, but I do know that my Morab, 15.1 hands, has no trouble carrying me, AND a vintage western saddle about 35lbs and I just dropped 20 lbs down to 200. Actually in 3 years I've only once ever worked up a sweat on her, and it was a freakish hot day here in VT. with very high humidity on Easter. She would have been sweating standing still, as we all were. If I were you I'd find a horse I liked, 5 or older so they have their full growth, and that appear to have the ability to do dressage. I don't think there's a specific breed of horse considered a dressage horse is there? Just try and make sure their conformation is as correct as possible for the breed. If they have bad legs or feet it's not going to matter if you are 90 lbs soaking wet, they won't make you a good horse. How 'bout posting us some pictures on here of the horses you look at? That would be fun for us I think. Cheryl

Alwaysbehind 08-05-2011 01:10 PM

Do you have a trainer/instructor you work with? It might be best to discuss with them that you are wanting a horse so they can help you find something that fits you and will do what you want it to do safely.

crosscountryrider17 08-05-2011 01:21 PM

thanks and i did put some pics up. i was thinking about maybe a draft or draft cross. im hoping to gte my weight down though. would it be hard do you think to convert a western horse to english style?

crosscountryrider17 08-05-2011 01:24 PM

ill try we are very busy. i volunteer there and im always doing something but i will try to talk to him. (my instuctor)

morabhobbyhorse 08-05-2011 02:10 PM

No, often horses can show in either, the same horse. I didn't read we were in the draft section, LOL or I would've suggested a draft, but not because of your weight. I have a friend with a black Percheron Mare that has some beautiful moves. My horse just for some reason has touchy withers and since English saddles lay flat on their withers, she has a fit at the canter. And where are your pics? Would love to see them.

crosscountryrider17 08-05-2011 05:38 PM

in the only album i have lol hehe