The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   What do you do to fix and prevent sun bleached tails? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/what-do-you-do-fix-prevent-94232/)

HollyBubbles 08-06-2011 06:14 AM

What do you do to fix and prevent sun bleached tails?

Mitch has quite a nice sun-bleached tail at the moment(I'm joking, it's horrible:lol:), I mean sure, he's a brown horse and I love brown horses, but he sure looks a lot better with his normal dark brown tail, not chestnut/sunbleached-tipped.

It's just coming into spring now, and I was hoping to let the sunbleached parts grow out through the winter (his tail started bleaching last summer when I first got him) but it never managed to grow out enough so I could cut off the yuck looking bits... His mane seems to be the fast-growing part :-| (which for me is annoying because it means I either have to spend longer pulling it, or pull it more often).

I would like the sunbleached parts to be gone before I start taking him to shows, (hopefully before december, so I do have a few months to get rid of it) but I'm not exactly sure if there even is anything I can do to get rid of it, short of dying his tail, and I don't want to put hair dye on my horse, unless of course there is a horse-safe hair dye that I haven't heard about.

-They don't sell MTG in NZ so I can't use that to make his tail grow faster.
-He doesn't have a winter cover, so even the top of his tail is bleached.
-Obviously tail bag would fix the bleaching but he's quite a master of getting things off, or getting out of things (paddocks, yards, and duct taped hoof bandages included, so a tail bag would be no match)

OTTBLover 08-06-2011 06:30 AM

I used to use human hair dye to dye my Bay horses sun bleached tail. It worked GREAT! Just be careful not to get it on their coat haha!

HollyBubbles 08-06-2011 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTTBLover (Post 1126652)
I used to use human hair dye to dye my Bay horses sun bleached tail. It worked GREAT! Just be careful not to get it on their coat haha!

Really? I thought that would have been bad for them.
And you would still do the patch test right? God help me if Mitch turned out to be allergic to a hair dye :lol: he rubbed out half his tail on a 40minute float trip, so imagine what he would do if he got an itchy tail from the dye :shock:

OTTBLover 08-06-2011 06:42 AM

I did the patch test - and my horse had no probs. Most of the dye goes on the tips of the hair, and the length - not really much need to get it on the dock...

HollyBubbles 08-06-2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTTBLover (Post 1126656)
I did the patch test - and my horse had no probs. Most of the dye goes on the tips of the hair, and the length - not really much need to get it on the dock...

That's very true, now I just have to find a hair dye that looks like Mitchs tail colour.. Would it look funny if I dyed the tail and not the mane & forelock? Guess I'd have to find out

OTTBLover 08-06-2011 08:45 AM

True, I was lucky with Inca, as he was bay, and his tail was *supposed* to be black, so that was easy for me :-)

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do :-)

Hoofprints in the Sand 08-06-2011 08:59 AM

My buckskin mare has a horrible orange tail about midsummer usually...I also dye it with human hair dye with no problems :)
Posted via Mobile Device

HollyBubbles 08-06-2011 09:01 PM

Oh cool, looks like I will be trying out the hair dye then :)

it shouldn't be too hard to find the right colour I hope

Hoofprints in the Sand 08-06-2011 09:27 PM

I just find plain old black ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

HollyBubbles 08-07-2011 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoofprints in the Sand (Post 1127337)
I just find plain old black ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm just hoping it'll be close enough to his dark brown tail, it should be, it'd be almost black so if its not quite the right colour i'll just have to die his mane too :lol: he'll be so impressed