The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is this a good saddle, how much would you pay for it?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Saddlebag 
#1 ·
I've had this saddle for 13 years(got it used) I've kept it in pretty good shape, but I have no idea the brand it is(it's stamped 821 on the keeper), how good of quality it is or anything. I still have my old horse who the saddle belongs to, but it doesn't fit my other 2 horses and my barn owner is interested in buying it off me. I needs to be re-flocked but other then that it needs nothing. Here are the pics of it on the horse it doesn't fit.

Some more here, but I think there are enough there to give you an idea lol

See less See more
#7 ·
It's a pretty cheaply made saddle with lower quality leather. That being said it's in pretty good shape so it's probably worth $200. I doubt if the saddle was $350 brand new it's just not real high quality. They are pretty good saddle for young kids just starting out as you probably know. Remember when you are selling you can always go down with the price but you can never go up!

#9 ·
Even if its an off brand saddle of some sort and the leather is lower quality its survived over 13 years and looks good. Its also got a little silver, even if its a bit loose, and the tooling is pretty even if its not perfect.

I agree with everyone else. Start at 350 and aim for 250. It will make a nice kids saddle or pleasure saddle for someone to play around in.

#10 ·
Having lived in Bucks for 20 years, I know your area and the market there pretty well. As Kevin said, although it is in good shape, it is not a well made saddle (btw, you really need to put stirrup hobbles on it if you continue to ride in it). The leather is so-so but more importantly, the tree is ralide, not wood/rawhide, which is a low end tree. The silver on it does not add to value, and the stirrup adjustments are buckle not blevins.

You can ask anything you want but anyone who knows saddles won't bother coming to look at it if you price it at $350, regardless of what you are willing to take. I would price it at $299 or BO and be happy to get $150 -$200.

#11 ·
The tree is Ralide, a poly tree that has certainly withstood the test of time. It's been put in saddles since the 60's. The fleece is fine and doesn't need replacing. The metal trim on the skirts is Alpaca Silver which isn't silver at all but a nickle alloy which will shine up nicely without removing a top finish. I'd ask $350 for starters. I don't think I'd take less than $275 but it's your call. Wide stirrup hobbles will give it a nice finished look. They are usually less than $10 pr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.