The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Good Horse Books to Read? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/good-horse-books-read-94357/)

dreamrideredc 08-07-2011 01:41 PM

Good Horse Books to Read?

Hi everyone!

I'm an avid reader and I'm always looking for the horse novels...do ya'll have any you recommend? Keeping in mind I'm in my mid-teen years...

My two most recent reads were the new A-Circuit series and the Perfect Distance. I LOVED them!

Thanks! :D

Phantomcolt18 08-07-2011 09:21 PM

Chosen By A Horse by Susan Richards......if you are okay with crying while reading a book go for this one. It is amazing and I have re-read it lord knows how many times. I absolutely love this book!

Also Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul 1 & 2 are really good books and the stories are real.

Hope Rising is abother good one. It is a true book with a bunch of stories for a horse rescue center that also works with troubled children. Another great book if you dont mind crying a little every once in a while.

The hearts of horses is good. It's moreso about a woman horse trainer waaay back in the day...but a good book none the less.

I'll go through my library a bit more and see what I have and list a few more I know I have a ton haha.

Hidalgo13 08-07-2011 09:26 PM

subscribing!

themacpack 08-07-2011 09:43 PM

I second Chosen By A Horse and Hope Rising. I also really enjoyed The Horses of Proud Spirit.

gypsygirl 08-07-2011 09:52 PM

Dick Francis is a great author. he wrote racing mysteries [hes dead now =[ ] anything by him is really good. i also like lyndon stacey.

Jake and Dai 08-07-2011 09:52 PM

I love books written by Dick Francis. Sadly he passed away but his son has taken over and is keeping up the tradition very well in my opinion. They are mysteries centered around horse racing (mostly steeplechasing) in England.

Rita Mae Brown writes a mystery series related to fox hunting in Virginia that are also really good. The main character, Sister Jane, is master of a hunt.

Jane Smiley has written quite a few good ones...start with The Georges and the Jewels. That series is about a rural horse trainer's 12 year old daughter and her life with horses. Excellent!

:)

ETA: you beat me to it Gypsy! LOL

mgarzon 08-07-2011 10:16 PM

I agree with Chosen by a Horse. I was so-so on The A Circuit, but really liked The Perfect Distance. I do have another one to recommend, but it's shameless self-promotion because I wrote it... it's called Blaze of Glory (I'll put links below). A few people on this forum have read it, there's some info in the 'Horse Stories & Poems' section if you want. Happy reading :)

m.garzon | welcome

http://www.amazon.com/Blaze-Glory-m-garzon/dp/1602648107/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

dreamrideredc 08-08-2011 12:01 PM

Thanks for all of the replies everyone, I will definitely look into all of these :D I've already read Chosen by a Horse, (loved it!!) so I think I'm going to start out with mgarzon's book after I finish the one I have going - can't wait to try it!

Thanks again!

VT Trail Trotters 08-08-2011 01:19 PM

More of a funny comedy book but its called "Hold Your Horses". Very funny.

mgarzon 08-08-2011 05:54 PM

ooh I'm going to check out 'Hold Your Horses', too! There's not enough horsey comedy in the world :) Dreamrideredc, I hope you like the story!