The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   From tractors to horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/tractors-horses-9436/)

lowtech 05-28-2008 11:17 AM

From tractors to horses?

Hi, you might be interested in this article on Low-tech Magazine, Bring back the horses, which argues that it would be a good move to replace tractors by horses in agriculture.

Because nowadays agriculture is largely based on fossil fuels (they are needed for the manufacture of artificial fertilizers and tractors, and for the operation of tractors) food security is in danger now that oil prices keep rising.

Horses produce their own fertilizer and they reproduce themselves. They need no fuel. The article links to some scientific studies which state that switching from tractors to horses is realistic and a win-win situation, even when taken into account the extra cropland needed to feed them

Main problem is that there are not enough horses and that we should start breeding them fast.

What do you think?

SonnyWimps 05-28-2008 12:21 PM

I think it's a great idea

I'm pro "get rid of cars and let's just ride horses everywhere" hehe.
(I don't like cares hehe).

The gas prices are really high (I think it's $4.10 here) and I know it will be raising...I'm sure it will hit $5.00 before the summer is over

missy06 05-28-2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonnyWimps

The gas prices are really high (I think it's $4.10 here) and I know it will be raising...I'm sure it will hit $5.00 before the summer is over

I tell my boyfriend this ALL the time, how I wished I lived in times where horses were still the main mode of transportation. I've given up driving for the most part because gas is so insane. I bike/bus to work and back, and the only times we use the car is big errands like grocery shopping, and driving out to see Spree. If I could bike out to her I would, but it's 15 miles and a 30 mile biking round trip after work just doesn't sound appealing!

SonnyWimps 05-28-2008 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missy06
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonnyWimps

I tell my boyfriend this ALL the time, how I wished I lived in times where horses were still the main mode of transportation. I've given up driving for the most part because gas is so insane. I bike/bus to work and back, and the only times we use the car is big errands like grocery shopping, and driving out to see Spree. If I could bike out to her I would, but it's 15 miles and a 30 mile biking round trip after work just doesn't sound appealing!

There's actually an island that having a car on it is illegal...yes you read that right...illegal. It's completely walking, horse back, carriage, or bike
No cars are allowed on that island

I want to move there

sempre_cantando 05-29-2008 03:11 AM

lol good luck convincing the farmers! Many of them are far too attached to their tractors hehe

Rachluvshorses4eva 05-29-2008 03:21 AM

Well, I don't know. You guys know P!nk the singer right? Well, she hates animal abuse and big on animal cruelty! She is starting a campaign about using horse drawn carts, as she hates it! ?????

missy06 05-29-2008 06:57 AM

Where is this island located? Do you know the name/country its in?

Vidaloco 05-29-2008 07:08 AM

Mackinac Island in Michigan

alstaxidermy 05-29-2008 08:36 AM

I had to laugh just a tiny bit when I saw this. I was just telling my husband the other day that I was glad we got the horses because by the time they are old enough to ride we won't be able to afford gas anymore! I already take the bus or walk when I can and since I started that practice I have lost weight and saved a ton of money. I too am just waiting to see gas hit $5 or more a gallon and still really don't understand why nothing is being done about it, but at least I have our 'horse power' to fall back on.

missy06 05-29-2008 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco
Mackinac Island in Michigan

?! Well, it couldn't be any more fortuitous that I'm living in MI for a couple of years! I am going to go visit there sometime this summer, that's fantastic :)