The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Grip With Knees?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/grip-knees-9439/)

Jubilee Rose 05-28-2008 12:29 PM

Grip With Knees??

I've always got mixed messages about this very basic issue. When you post, should you be pushing from your inner thighs? I always thought posting with your knees is wrong, and posting with your hands is wrong as well. When I post I always make sure my heels are down as far as they can go and I post upwards and slightly foward. I'm not sure if I'm gripping with my knees or not ... :?

SonnyWimps 05-28-2008 12:49 PM

Re: Grip With Knees??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubilee Rose
I've always got mixed messages about this very basic issue. When you post, should you be pushing from your inner thighs? I always thought posting with your knees is wrong, and posting with your hands is wrong as well. When I post I always make sure my heels are down as far as they can go and I post upwards and slightly foward. I'm not sure if I'm gripping with my knees or not ... :?

I do it the same way you do...at least from the description it sounds like I'm doing the same thing.

I've never heard that you shouldn't grip with your knees. I've heard posting with your hands are wrong...and posting by using your feet to lift you up is wrong also.

farmpony84 05-28-2008 01:25 PM

Make sure you are not pulling your toes up. You want to push your heels down. You want the weight in your heels. You are rolling forward when you post, not using your stirrups. You are holding on with your calfs and your thighs. There should not be air between your knees and your saddle but you are not posting with your knees. does that make sense?

Jubilee Rose 05-28-2008 01:38 PM

Re: Grip With Knees??

SonnyWimps - Thanks for the advice. I still think there's something wrong with gripping with your knees. Maybe I'm wrong ...

Farmpony - Yes it makes perfect sense. Thanks. And I do keep the weight in my heel.

love-a-hero 05-28-2008 05:39 PM

FarmPony is correct. There should be no contact what so ever with your knee's to the saddle, only your lower leg.

Jubilee Rose 05-28-2008 06:10 PM

love-a-hero, thanks for the clarification!

PaintedRocket 05-30-2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84
Make sure you are not pulling your toes up. You want to push your heels down. You want the weight in your heels. You are rolling forward when you post, not using your stirrups. You are holding on with your calfs and your thighs. There should not be air between your knees and your saddle but you are not posting with your knees. does that make sense?

That makes perfect sense.

Unfortunately, I have a bad habit of pinching with my knees and definately "feel it" when I'm done riding. One of those habits I'm trying to break. I should repeat your words to myself when I ride, lol..

PoptartShop 05-30-2008 08:04 PM

Good points!! :) I agree with the above posts.