The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Hooflex, precaution or waste? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/hooflex-precaution-waste-94451/)

FreeDestiny 08-08-2011 12:59 PM

Hooflex, precaution or waste?

So my tb mare seems to follow the stereotype that tb's have bad hooves. Her hooves were really dry and cracking and chipping around the edges, even the bottom of her fronts were a little off-looking. I told her real owner and she said to put her on the trim list so I put her down for trim and front shoes. I haven't seen her since the shoes got put on but the trim seems to have taken off all the nasty dry edges of her hooves. I was using hooflex 3-4 times a week on her hooves beforehand, but now that she's gotten the trim and shoes do you think I need to continue with this regimen or lay off? Hooflex isn't that expensive so I don't mind buying it but I wouldn't want to do so and then never use it.....

Sorry if I'm a little confusing haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

lovemarcy 08-08-2011 08:35 PM

I like hooflex, but I think its one of those things you have to keep using for it to keep working, you know? if her feet look better it could be that she is just one of those horses that needs more frequent hoof care.

also look into nutrition- healthy hooves really start from the inside out.

FreeDestiny 08-08-2011 08:51 PM

I'm pretty sure her owner is giving her a farriers formula, or something like that....

I'll probably buy some just to have on hand.

Have you used the liquid hooflex or the one in the container? Which one would you reccomend ?
Posted via Mobile Device

lovemarcy 08-08-2011 08:56 PM

I've always used the liquid with the brush. I had an APHA mare that had HORRIBLE feet- at the time I couldnt afford a supplement so I just made sure her feet got done regularly and I used hooflex almost every day- it made a huge difference.

farrier's formula is fantastic stuff- if she is getting that it should help in time.

FreeDestiny 08-08-2011 08:58 PM

I'm no expert on hooves so thanks so much ! Should the one I use depend on the climate here ? I've heard people asking about climate before recommending hoof conditioners.
Posted via Mobile Device

lovemarcy 08-08-2011 09:05 PM

To be 100% honest- I'm not sure on that one :P That sounds like a question for google!

FreeDestiny 08-08-2011 09:06 PM

Alrighty ! Haha :P
Posted via Mobile Device

DejaVu 08-08-2011 09:51 PM

I use it during show season to strengthen up, to help prevent chips for halter.

I do use it regularly on my mini, who is prone to very hard to trim hooves. It keeps them nice and soft, yet strong with regular use.

It's what I've always bought, so I've liked it.

I bought the one in the container, but ended up preferring the liquid. The liquids messier, but easier to apply.

waresbear 08-08-2011 11:44 PM

I have been using hooflex (a fine absorbine product) for hmmmm 35 yrs? It works, and when applying to your horse's hooves, use it one your own nails, makes them beautiful. Just make sure you wash if off before coming into the house.