The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Polo Wraps?? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/polo-wraps-9446/)

Jubilee Rose 05-28-2008 05:12 PM

Polo Wraps??

What do you guys think of polo wraps? Do you use them when riding? If so, how often? Do they actually serve to protect the legs or are they more for looks? I personally have never really used them, but wanted your opinions.

appylover31803 05-28-2008 06:22 PM

I actually just bought (well a couple months ago) a set of pink polo wraps, and this past friday used them while riding.

Polos are not there to help support the leg in any way, and in a way not meant to protect the leg either. They are more for helping warm up the leg so it can move better. If you want something for support, split boots are good.

If i'm only going to be doing flat work or lunging, i'm going to use the polos, any jumping or harder riding, i'm going to use my open front boots or splint boots

We Control The Chaos 05-29-2008 11:01 PM

i have a zillion pairs of polo wraps and I seldom use them seeing they are a PAIN to un wrap and re wrap. They are more used to warm up the legs and protect them from little things like splenters and some cross country stuff. If your looking for protection use splint boots or open front boots. I personally use open front boots for jumping they work great and dont bother. =]

rezzi 05-30-2008 05:46 PM

I don't always wear put polo wraps on my horse just because we don't work that long and hard at all. I have noticed that the when the people at my barn are jumping that day they will definately put them on.

I love my polos because they are tie-dye :D

Jubilee Rose 05-30-2008 07:08 PM

Rezzi - Haha, thats cute. I love bright coloured polo wraps!!

JustDressageIt 05-30-2008 07:45 PM

I used to have a few pairs, and used them so rarely I got rid of them... just found it took too long to put them on and just went back to boots :)

My2Geldings 06-01-2008 08:35 AM

I have like every color of polo wraps but don't use them very often. I hate having to re-wrap them...

halsgal 06-01-2008 10:57 AM

I ride in them all the time. They do provide an amount of support with more of a custom fit than a boot does. Also, my horse is a klutz, so it keeps the scrapes to a minimum, and does look cute. But don't say they don't do anything, when they are wrapped properly (which is a must, many a horses legs have been destroyed by bad poloing) they do provide support like a boot, not to the same extent maybe as a SMB, but they are more custom.

brittx6x6 06-01-2008 02:19 PM

As said earlier by appylover31803 polp wraps are not for support or protection. They can protect from minor rubs on the legs, but they are more for warming the legs and keeping them warm. When I practice dressage I put polo wraps on because they help the horse move better and keep the legs warm. Also, most of the time my horse will rub her legs together while side passing or something like that and polo's are pretty good at protecting them. I also use them on trail rides to protect from minor cuts from branches.

gotxhorses 07-11-2008 10:38 AM

I personally don't use them on horses I ride (I stick to boots), but if I'm riding for someone else and they ask me to, I will. Occasionally if I'm doing flatwork I will use them though.