The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Bashkir Curly Horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/bashkir-curly-horses-94463/)

ButtInTheDirt 08-08-2011 03:20 PM

Bashkir Curly Horses?

I actually might be getting a Bashkir Curly, and I wanted to know some things that set them aside from other horses. I have met this horse, aswell as another Curly at the same place, and they are definately gorgeous. They are very drafty, and are from northern Wisconsin.

How is grooming a Curly different from a flat coated horse? Are they more prone to certan diseases? Any detail about Curlies would be delightful. Where they come from, genetics, or just fun facts.

I'm not looking for people to discriminate me for wanting to get a Curly. I can handle myself, and don't need people to start with me about getting another horse.

Thank you for the answers. ^-^ The reason I am asking the general public and not going to google is because I wanted more first-hand experiences.

ponyboy 08-08-2011 06:36 PM

I think you have to vacuum a Curly, at least in the winter.

ShutUpJoe 08-08-2011 07:43 PM

They are really nice horses. I worked with a breeder over the summer and I didn't see them doing anything differently as far as grooming went. The horses were easy to get along, picked up on things quickly and had a tendency to remember who mishandled them. The extreme curlies didn't have much of a mane or tail. They were also supposed to be hypoallergenic. But I can't comment on that.

Cacowgirl 08-08-2011 08:11 PM

I had a Curly for awhile, a stallion,he was gorgeous, lots of bone~his canter, when I could push him into it was like a war charger-ground shaking! He was a bit stubborn, & had a full long mane on both sides of his neck. Don't waste your time combing out dreadlocks-they'll be right back. Try to get a registered horse, & w/registering you will get the "Curly" magazine & that has lots of tips about the care & grooming of your Curly. Because of the economy I had to downsize the # of horses I keep,& I still do miss him.

Indigosblue 08-08-2011 08:34 PM

i've heard that they're supposed to be hypo-allergenic too, but I know no one who's tried it out, so it's just "what i heard." I think there are different amounts of curl per horse, and i've only seen those with so little curl that they probably didn't qualify, lol. If you get one with super-curls i think it'll be a bit harder for the grooming if they get wet, but not much. I havn't heard of any hereditary diseases in curlies, but you might want to check if there's any inbreeding in your horse's pedigree. Also, it's not like they're another breed of animal, they're still horss, so i'm sure there aren't too many differences to worry about.Other than that, good luck and post pics if you do get a curly!

ButtInTheDirt 08-11-2011 10:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thank you all for the information. It is more likely that I am getting her, but she is quite a drive away so it all boils down to the very day we go to pick her up. Her name is Scarlet, and she is a four year old, halter broke, registered Curly. I'm getting her with papers and everything, so it is a pretty good deal. She loads, decent with the ferrier and the like. Here are the only somewhat decent pictures I have of her.

(She is heavy, but has never foundered. The picture is really akward and the ground was uneven.)

ShutUpJoe 08-11-2011 10:24 AM

She's very pretty!

Indigosblue 08-12-2011 12:53 AM

oooh, very pretty! Good Luck!

Indigosblue 08-12-2011 12:54 AM

oh, and i've got a pudgy "pony" (actually a horse) as well, so don't worry. Just try your best to keep them in shape!

ButtInTheDirt 08-12-2011 10:50 PM

Thanks. ^-^

And she definately needs a tune-up. (I call my horses ponies, too. :3 No worries.)