The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Opinions on this bit (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/opinions-bit-94521/)

Serendipitous 08-08-2011 11:49 PM

Opinions on this bit

I've never seen one quite like this before. I wanted to get a loose-ringed bit, and started researching and came across this one. It seems like it might pinch less than regular french-link bits. I was curious if anyone had any other input on how the action might be different?

KY Rotary Bits - Ring snaffle - Double jointed RB-7000 - $27.15 : Horse N Pet Outlet

smrobs 08-09-2011 12:31 AM

Ooh :?. Of course, I would have to get my hands on it and actually feel that action but I would imagine that it would pinch worse than a regular french link. What I think about when I see it is those ball-chain necklaces that everyone used to wear that always pinched the crap out of my neck LOL.
http://static.artfire.com/admin/prod...humb_large.jpg

It looks to me like the main 2 different things from a regular french link is that this one offers more lateral twisting, where you can pick up one side without influencing the other, and it limits how far the mouth will collapse onto the horse's bars.

I think if I were looking for something that did all that, I would look more into the Myler or Billy Allen type snaffles. They do basically the same thing and don't look nearly as liable to pinch.

Of course, I may be wrong and that bit may not pinch at all, but it just looks to me like it would.

Serendipitous 08-09-2011 12:37 AM

This could just be useless company propaganda but:

English Riding Supply is proud to announce: F.E.I . Approval of KY Rotary Bits in Dressage Competition @ Horse Tack Review

I imagined that if they are using the same technology as human joint replacement, that it would have to be pretty smooth. I remember those necklaces, and they did hurt like a...something or other. The main difference I see is that in the necklace and in this bit is there seems to be no real space or thread between the balls and other mouthpieces in the bit. I've tried to find a large picture of one of the bits and have come up with nothing. I may just have to buy it out of curiosity.

smrobs 08-09-2011 12:48 AM

If you do, you'll have to let me know how it works out.

Serendipitous 08-09-2011 12:52 AM

I'm just a little skeptical because if it doesn't pinch AT ALL compared to a french-link or a regular snaffle, how come they aren't in most every horse's mouths by now? It seems too good to be true, especially considering how discounted that particular bit is...

ETA: I will.

kevinshorses 08-09-2011 01:46 AM

It seems like a solution waiting for a problem. I think most people that have problems with thier bit pinching actually just have very poor use of thier hands. I have used the same two loose ring snaffles on every young horse Ive ridden in the last 15 years and have had very few problems.