The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Possible Buy: Jumper / Eventer (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/possible-buy-jumper-eventer-94526/)

alexischristina 08-09-2011 02:19 AM

Possible Buy: Jumper / Eventer

I'm looking for a horse to do some 'gold' level jumpers and lower level eventing on in the next few years, and have found my first 'potential' buy and I'd like some opinions on her.

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1708441 - Wild In the West

http://www.dreamhorse.com/photos/aug/1708441.jpg

That is the only picture available of her, but there is also video

I'd have to bring her across the border (how much of a fuss would I run into? USA into Canada), and I'm looking at a couple other horses in the same area so I want to make sure the horse I decide on is worth it (I'm also looking in my area, but have had more luck searching in the states).

I don't know if she has schooled / competed higher than in the video, but I have emailed the seller and asked. So can I have some opinions on her? I really love that she is registered (or so they say).

Dressage10135 08-09-2011 02:27 AM

Hey there! I actually live in the same town she is lol. I just thought I'd let you know that the seller is notorious for giving a false impression about the horses she sells. Most of the time the horses are green, high strung, and close to breaking down.

If you'd like I can go take a look at her and get you some pictures and video. Just to give you a better and unbiased idea of how she truly is!

Skyseternalangel 08-09-2011 02:33 AM

She's lovely..

HannahFaith 08-09-2011 02:42 AM

this is just what i see, and i dont know how much of it is rider... but...

I didn't see any lead changes, and she always kind of got a funky distance. I personally feel like she should at least have lead changes if youre going to ship her across the boarder.. thats alot of work for having to teach a horse lead changes, basic flat work... if you have to teach her that, what else do you have to teach her?

alexischristina 08-09-2011 02:50 AM

Dressage, that immediately turns me off of the seller I HATE liars especially with a sport that is so dangerous. Now I'm fuming, haha.
I asked a friends opinion and she says her stride is 'all wrong' and too action-y for Dressage. I'm not a Dressage rider, so I have no real opinion. Thoughts on that?

Also! That's a super amazingly nice offer, Dressage and I'll definitely PM you about it if I consider this mare seriously!

Hannah, I noticed that too and thought it was a bit fishy when she cut across the diagonal and immediately broke to trot and halted, as well as the first jump that cuts off after landing AND the fact that the jumps are so tiny.
I should have put more thought into this mare before I posted this up, because now I'm not liking her at all :oops:

I do have another horse that interests me, different in that she's listed as more of a prospect, but I would be more than willing to put her in training when I got her here.

http://www.horseclicks.com/photos/ho...168252-7-x.jpg
Young and Talented Shire Sporthorse Mare - Eastlyshire Daphne

More pics on her page, she seems a bit 'bulky' to me, but again I am no expert. Thoughts on this one as well?

HannahFaith 08-09-2011 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexischristina (Post 1130410)
Dressage, that immediately turns me off of the seller I HATE liars especially with a sport that is so dangerous. Now I'm fuming, haha.
I asked a friends opinion and she says her stride is 'all wrong' and too action-y for Dressage. I'm not a Dressage rider, so I have no real opinion. Thoughts on that?

Also! That's a super amazingly nice offer, Dressage and I'll definitely PM you about it if I consider this mare seriously!

Hannah, I noticed that too and thought it was a bit fishy when she cut across the diagonal and immediately broke to trot and halted, as well as the first jump that cuts off after landing AND the fact that the jumps are so tiny.
I should have put more thought into this mare before I posted this up, because now I'm not liking her at all :oops:

I do have another horse that interests me, different in that she's listed as more of a prospect, but I would be more than willing to put her in training when I got her here.

http://www.horseclicks.com/photos/ho...168252-7-x.jpg
Young and Talented Shire Sporthorse Mare - Eastlyshire Daphne

More pics on her page, she seems a bit 'bulky' to me, but again I am no expert. Thoughts on this one as well?

ahahha yea, i mean... the fact they say she has eventing experience and such, i'd at least expect lead changes...

This second mare though is adorable! i love her! there's no video though....

But you said earlier you were no dressage person, and all of her pictures theyre in a dressage saddle riding her as such ( i believe idk im no dressage expert either hahaha) but if theres ever a video of her id love to see it. i personally think she is a very nice looking mare.

HannahFaith 08-09-2011 02:58 AM

wait no.. i totally lied... ithink... maybe thats not a dressage saddle... ****... idk maybe its an ill fittng one... some one help me? ahahahha

Skyseternalangel 08-09-2011 03:08 AM

It is a dressage saddle but the saddle doesn't always depict the style of riding. I ride dressage in an aussie atm :P

Just make sure you don't buy too early before testing out the horse for yourself (I'd make the trip if you're serious!!) and ask the rider to show you everything you ask of, including lead changes!

P.S: The padding does suck..

alexischristina 08-09-2011 03:11 AM

Don't worry I will! That's why I'm trying to find a few horses in similar areas, to go over and try out a couple, see how it works out, and I think I'll insist on a trial.
Like I said, I'm not a Dressage rider.... but I'm going to have to become one, I guess, haha.
Something about her headset seems a little off to me, anybody else notice that? And I'm going to ask for some video ASAP as well.

Skyseternalangel 08-09-2011 03:45 AM

Well headset, as MANY have said before me, isn't taught.. it just comes with balance but it's good to inquire about everything that seems off.. always :) As you are so very well aware.

Well I'd argue that Dressage is the basic foundation of all other riding it seems, even western. You have to be good on the flat before you ask your horse to get some air (jump)

So you're probably fine anyway