The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Roping (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/)
-   -   Roping Styles (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/roping-styles-94527/)

James77 08-09-2011 01:24 AM

Roping Styles

What's the diffence between ranch roping and Texas style roping?

kevinshorses 08-09-2011 01:41 AM

In REAL ranch roping you take dallies like a man and in Texas style roping they usually tie off to thier horn and let things happen as they will. Also in some places in the West we use a leather horn wrap instead of rubber which is easier on the horse and the cattle.

James77 08-09-2011 02:41 AM

I was just wondering. I've heard of buckaroo style and cowboy style roping. Great Basin style....etc....just wanting to know what was the difference.

kevinshorses 08-09-2011 08:07 AM

Here is a video that shows how it should be done!

Cowboy Showcase, Home of the Western Spirit This site will answer many questions for you.

Fort fireman 09-15-2011 03:14 PM

Texas style roping is fast and hard. Tied off to the horn and alot of slamming stops.True ranch roping is slow, steady, and easy on horse rider and cow. Low stress is good for everyone involved.
Rodeo roping is what texas style roping has evolved into. good for competion but not good for making money on fat cows at the end of the season. :-)

AmazinCaucasian 09-29-2011 11:15 PM

I see this thread is old, but I just saw it and I'd like to add something. There's a reason for the hard and fast roping in Texas and other places. The country and the cattle type dictates what you do and how you do it. You guys that are posting probably realize this, but some folks may not.........

I don't live in Texas, but my friends there rope tied-on and use a shorter rope because of the bushes and trees. Those Brahma and Brahma-cross cows down ther can run and will come back up the rope and meet you too. Where I live, it's very brushy. We rope with team-roper rubber on the horn. People here generally don't use horses to work cows, so people only call us to catch something that's escaped and got wild. The first thing they do is brush up. So it's 40 or 45 foot ropes and dogs. I respect the long ropes and leather-wrapped horns,(and the nice easy handling) but with the woods, creeks, and cows that aren't horse broke, we have different ways. Good post.

kevinshorses 09-29-2011 11:17 PM

No matter how you do it the work always gets done.

James77 10-28-2011 02:37 PM

Thanks for all the imput! Didn't realise there was so much difference! Like kevinshorses said, "No matter how you do it the work always gets done."

Mike Zimmerman 10-31-2011 12:25 AM

Just because you have 60' of rope doesn't mean you have to use it all every time. But it sure beats having a 45' and needing 46'! :D
Posted via Mobile Device

AmazinCaucasian 11-13-2011 09:53 PM

Something happened today that reminded me of this thread. My mother-in-law is a barrel racer. Now I'm not putting down rodeos or team ropers, I did alot of rodeoing too. But she said something I had to laugh at. She had just bought a new horse and she was braggin' on him. She told me he was a roping horse. Then she added: "I'm not talking about that pasture roping stuff, this boy's a REAL ROPE HORSE. He had 30 days of team roping training!!!" Me and my wife LOL'd in her face