The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Videos (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/)
-   -   Bareback riding! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/bareback-riding-94542/)

QHDragon 08-09-2011 09:52 AM

Bareback riding!

Been having some saddle issues so I have been riding my new mare bareback! Goodness I am rusty! No making fun of my sack of potatos sit trot. :lol: Would love some opinions on her though! Her trot isn't the best example of what she can do since I she questions everything I ask her to do and I wasn't really sure if I actually wanted to trot. Bless her she was very good at helping to keep me centered on her back.

Jessskater 08-09-2011 01:00 PM

You two look great together!

QHDragon 08-09-2011 02:05 PM

Thanks!

Does the box that the video is in in the post looks squished to anybody else? :o

SugarPlumLove 08-09-2011 02:20 PM

Click on the title in the box and it'll send you to youtube. it's not squished there. not sure why HF does this

tinyliny 08-09-2011 02:26 PM

yeah, the box is squised. I see that sometimes and dont' know what that is all about. Cute video and music fit her walk cadence exactly.

I see a pretty good rider there. No sack of potatoes at all. So no comment on you.

Regarding your mare:

I see that she has a habit of breaking at the third vertebrae of the neck . Do you know what this is? When we want the horse to accept and be soft to the bit and give, we want the give to happen evenly along the whole neck but start at the poll joint , the first vertebrae behind the skull. Your horse is breaking three joints back . When they do this there can be a disconnect from the hind end to the head and you can get to that place where your horse comes behind the bit and is not engaging the hind and lifting but rather curling up and pushing onto the forehand.

I realize that riding bareback you are not secure enough to affect her as much as you can in saddle (I know I could not). But I am telling you that I see this. I would work to counter this by having her reach forward and downward, and when she does, push her to really step with vigor into the bit.

I would also work on haveing her flex at the poll to each side, not longitudinally so much, just kind of "twirling" at the poll and keeping a loose jaw, coiming so you can see her eye on the inside and see her jowl kind of tuck into her neck .

I did see how she started to offer yo9u a trot but was not sure if that's what you really wanted. Do I know that! She is very kind and has a nice rythmic walk.

QHDragon 08-09-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1130964)
Regarding your mare:

I see that she has a habit of breaking at the third vertebrae of the neck . Do you know what this is? When we want the horse to accept and be soft to the bit and give, we want the give to happen evenly along the whole neck but start at the poll joint , the first vertebrae behind the skull. Your horse is breaking three joints back . When they do this there can be a disconnect from the hind end to the head and you can get to that place where your horse comes behind the bit and is not engaging the hind and lifting but rather curling up and pushing onto the forehand.

I realize that riding bareback you are not secure enough to affect her as much as you can in saddle (I know I could not). But I am telling you that I see this. I would work to counter this by having her reach forward and downward, and when she does, push her to really step with vigor into the bit.

I would also work on haveing her flex at the poll to each side, not longitudinally so much, just kind of "twirling" at the poll and keeping a loose jaw, coiming so you can see her eye on the inside and see her jowl kind of tuck into her neck .

I did see how she started to offer yo9u a trot but was not sure if that's what you really wanted. Do I know that! She is very kind and has a nice rythmic walk.

Yeah she has a very false headset right now, she gives nicely, but she is very quick to fall behind the vertical, I was working on long and low but cut it out of the video since it was kind of boring. She has no idea what it means to be asked to stretch down.

At the end of each ride I always ask for whatever horse I am riding to flex their heads back to my stirrup as a stretch, is that what you are talking about?

And yep, she needs a rider that is very confident about what they are asking her to do, since I wasn't terribly confident about asking her to trot while I was riding bareback she wasn't terribly confident about giving me a trot!