The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   What should I do? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/what-should-i-do-94572/)

HorseLoverHunter 08-09-2011 03:47 PM

What should I do?

5 Attachment(s)
I saw a post like the one I'm about to make and I thought it would be a good Idea to see what you think about me. The post was about what type of jumping that they should do by how they ride, so I was wondering what do you think I would be better at? Hunter/Jumpers or Show Jumping? I will probable start showing this fall/winter or next spring so I just want to know what would be better for me so I don't get to my first show expecting something different. Here are some pictures and videos from the past month.

morehandclaps 08-10-2011 11:34 AM

I am no expert, but based on what I see, I would say jumper. Because hunter is more based on the rider, jumper is only on you and your horses ability to clear the jump and time.

This may clear up in the time before you start to show, but you don't seem balanced enough. When you're trottin your hands need to be a bit more quiet and at the canter you're falling forward. It's something you will learn to not do, but at the moment it would probably be easier for you to do show jumping. You're developing really well and would be able to succeed at both, it will only take time! Also, if you end up doing mostly one or the other, I suggest at least trying out both. So if you do show jumping, try a hunter show or two so you can see what it's like. Once you become more advanced it will be more of your preference instead of style because you'll be developing yourself how you want.

If you need clearing up on any of that, feel free to ask!
(and I didn't mean to give you a critique, it was just a few things I noticed...) :]

HannahFaith 08-10-2011 11:56 AM

no one attack me for this please.

but before you think of showing and worrying about what to show IN i think if you want to place in anything, you should definitely learn your diagonals...
I think , no matter what beginners should enter the ring as a Hunter. when they do that, its a low stress, easy course and its alot less stressful than jumpers, it lets the rider get used to showing and become confident then you can move into timed, tight turned jumpers in which you have to remember two courses.

I don't know how long you've been riding but i think you have a great upper body, you have great shoulders and you have bent elbows. Despite the fact your a tad bit wobbly from lack of core muscle i bet, your legs are nice as well, just put a little more weight in your heels. you seem like youre a great student who, if i was a trainer would love to teach =]

Don't take anything i say to heart in a negative way, this is just my opinion and from my experience every one will have something different to say and the only thing in that matters in the end is what YOU want to do.
Best of luck to you!

morehandclaps 08-10-2011 12:13 PM

i didn't notice that at first, but I agree about the diagonals. I think overall you need a bit more time to really solidify the basics, maybe go over everything with your instructor once more before you show?

Haha, I started on show jumping and I loved it. Of course, by that time I wasn't a beginner with jumping...you make a good point, Hannah. I still think you should decide for yourself/check both of them out (and maybe have a good conversation with your instructor about it?), but hunter could be a better option for a beginner. I stand by what I said, but now that I think about it, you can read what we all suggest here, but consult your instructor and if she doesn't strongly recommend one or the other, choose for yourself! We can only know so much out of a few videos. You know your heart and body and your instructor knows your abilities.

tinyliny 08-10-2011 02:02 PM

I see some improvement from that last video you posted for critique. How long have you been taking lessons?
I think I agree that starting hunters is your best bet. Although jumpers are not judged on their seat, they need to have a seat that is pretty strong, even if it's not "pretty", because they GO!

You still need some work on the stability, and like another person mentioned, it seems to be the core. Your body's core. I think that what happens is that you tend to ride off the ball of your foot a bit, and maybe are a bit stiff in the hiips so that when the horse canters , instead of going with the motion and absorbing it, you get kind of tossed around .

I would have you do lungline lessons, sitting in the saddle , no posting, no stirrups and no reins. Or stirrups only, no reins. Just work on following the motions of the horse by sitting and letting your hips move with her.

You do keep a nice upright body and head and your hands have improved a LOT.
Bee is a sweet horse!

HorseLoverHunter 08-10-2011 07:33 PM

Thanks everyone! Lately I haven't been paying attention to my diagonals because we have been working on just being able to sit with my hips loose to the trot and canter and last weekend we did about everything tinyliny suggested. I am a little tight with my hips and loose with my core, and have been trying to switch that up. This is the first full month of lessons I have had in the past 2 years. Anyways, my trainer Kendall was a Hunter/Jumper for KSU so she mainly works on that, but also know about Show Jumping. Also, does anyone know anything about Medal Classes? I read about them before and they sound really fun. Also, memorizing something longer then 6-8 jumps would be hard more me, especially because I can't even remember our pep rally cheer for school next week. lol, but anyways, just wondering about that too. Thanks!

HannahFaith 08-10-2011 07:56 PM

medal classes are definitely for the more advanced. they are way pickier than any other class. they judge you AND the horse. Those are pretty hard courses to remember as well since some of them have certain fences you have to trot and halts after fences halts inbetween lines some even have dismounts.

i dont think you really want a lose core... you wanta strong core that keeps you from falling forward... work on your heels that will help a ton!!!!! your heels are your anchors for everything. =] You look really really good though for only having a month of lessons!!!!!!

HorseLoverHunter 08-10-2011 08:29 PM

Oh wow! I didn't know you did all that in Medal Classes! And thanks!

HorseLoverHunter 08-10-2011 08:30 PM

I thought you jumped a couple fences like Hunter and then you would do a dressage session.

HannahFaith 08-10-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseLoverHunter (Post 1132575)
I thought you jumped a couple fences like Hunter and then you would do a dressage session.

I bet you're thinking of a hunter hack class. Every one does a flat class and lines up in the middle like you would at the end of a flat class, except you go and jump a line (two jumps) and then possibly halt and back up after.

=]