The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   Hello from Wisconsin (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/hello-wisconsin-94580/)

liz85 08-09-2011 03:38 PM

Hello from Wisconsin

Hey everyone!!! So glad I found this forum! I have always wanted a horse ever since I was old enough to know what a horse was lol I started taking lessons as a child and went to horse camp a few summers. I knew my parents couldn't afford boarding etc etc etc so I let it go. I had been bitten by the horse bug many times growing up but never was feasable financially. Now that I am 26 I have been bit bad and its not going away lol I have started looking up boarding facilities and area horses(rescues and stables). I have also begun looking into different showing options. When I had to stop taking lessons as a child i was in the beginning phases of jumping and would love to continue that!!!! I have been reading about different horse breeds and things to keep an eye out for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!! I am also looking into taking some lessons in the mean time. I am taking a lot of time and consideration into this huge decision, so taking lessons would give me more exp and get me back in the swing of things:D

MHFoundation Quarters 08-09-2011 04:04 PM

Welcome to the forum!

The horse bug doesn't go away once you've been bit. Good luck on your hunt for a lesson barn!

liz85 08-09-2011 04:12 PM

yeah its never really gone away.....its subsided enough that it would pass from time to time and I knew my parents couldn't afford it....now that I am doing research i am seeing that is more and more feasable to own one. I haven't had much luck w places calling me back about lessons...hoping on some friends of friends that give lessons so we will see...

DustyDiamond 08-09-2011 04:13 PM

Welcome to the forum and good luck!

liz85 08-09-2011 09:53 PM

ok thought of some questions lol

-Since I would like to eventually show possibly....does anyone have a short synopsis of the different disciplines or know of a website that sums it all up.
-I like in WI and we have pretty harsh winters at times is rough boarding pretty much out???? I would prefer indoor anyways but just getting ideas, ive read horses are usually happier being outside.

Everytime i am away from the computer i have tons of questions i want to ask and then i get here and i can't think of any of em lol
I sent a page of notes and questions w my bf to work to ask one of the girls he works with.

liz85 08-09-2011 10:07 PM

-what are the normal steps of a sale? i know you should ride the horse and have the owner ride him/her as well. I am a vet tech and would hopefully be able to find obv issues ie drugging. Our large animal section was pretty short:( is there paperwork, not even breeding papers but bill of sale ???
-Is there ins avail for boarding your horse? is it worth it????
-Is a certain gender more willing to please or easier to train??