The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can I press charges If they do this to my horse?

Tags
horses laws
7K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  speedy da fish 
#1 ·
I have a freisian cross gelding and a spotted saddle horse mare. I live right beside my father and beside his farm is his freinds trailer. I hardly ever have time to work with my horses but I do feed them twice a day and give them supplements once a day. I used to stall them at night and give them hay but then stopped because I havnt been home to do so. My horses graze all day everyday. I have 2 horses on 10 acres so there is PLENTY of forage for them. My father continues to tell me how I dont take care of my horses because I do not stall them anymore, give them hay and dont have time to ride them unless im off ( i used to ride everyday when i was younger). I told him that Im an adult and I do not need his 2 cents unless I ask.. so then he got mad. I now find him and His neighbor in my barn messing with my horses, SMOKING IN THE BARN:evil: and they move them in there stalls and then dont clean them and dont get them out so I have been having to let them out in the morning and I must delay my buiness back 45 mins cause now instead of just putting feed in buckets, im mucking stalls in the morning and letting the horses out as well as feeding. I then started locking my stalls... then came home and found the locks had been sawed off.:evil: When i confronted my father he said that Im financing on HIS land and that he can do what he wants with my horses and that if I do not start taking care of them (wich i do, obviously) then MY horses will be givin to the neighbor... btw the neighbor smokes pot and has really bad morals (steals, buys hot weapons, deals drugs, etc) and is a worker for my father...i do not want him even looking at my babies let alone work with them and I darn well will not let him own them EVER!! .... anywho, I have Ownership papers and coggins to prove the horses are in fact MINE! I am 23 and do NOT need my fathers concent on ANYTHING! But Im sick of seeing a pot head and my father out working with MY horses..Im constantly worrying about my horses and Im about to just move them to a boarding facility about 30 mins away wich will cost me more money. Is there anyway I could get like a restraining order for my horses? I have tried telling my father to leave them alone in the nicest way possable but he starts yelling and I just cant handle that.:evil: Also, If my horses were to turn up stolen, or If the fence was locked so I couldnt get to my horses, since I have ownership could I press some pretty serious charges? I have a feeling my father may try something like this.

See less See more
#10 ·
I think this was kind of uncalled for. Just because she has a life and does not ride as much as she maybe should does not mean she is a bad horse owner. If she is willing to go feed the horses twice a day herself then she obviously cares for them; some people would not take the time to drive twice a day to their horses if there is someone else there that could just as easily do it (dad, neighbor). She asked whether she should move them or do something about her dad, not if she should get rid of them or not.

It's none of our business to be judging whether or not she deserves her horses or not, but she's made it clear she wants the best for her horses. If her father has gone against her wishes by blantantly sawing off locks, and threatening to give HER horses away, he must not care TOO much about her thoughts and feelings in the matter of her horses.

#9 ·
I think I am going to move them and listen to yall, i love my horses to much to even take a chance! I found a really nice facility with very few boarders wich means little to no drama and my horses will be peaceful again. I do have another gelding but he is in Ocala FL in training (going to be a reiner). he will be back in about 6 months.
@ shelby.. I do have my gelding for sale but only because I need good money. and I ill not sell my mare or my show gelding..I do take care of them, they get fed,wormed,shots,etc and get groomed everynite, i just cant ride all the time.... i ride about 2 hours a week...if you call that not taking care of my horses to the extent to where i should sell them, youve gotta be a little loopy....

#11 ·
I think I am going to move them and listen to yall, i love my horses to much to even take a chance! I found a really nice facility with very few boarders wich means little to no drama and my horses will be peaceful again. I do have another gelding but he is in Ocala FL in training (going to be a reiner). he will be back in about 6 months.
@ shelby.. I do have my gelding for sale but only because I need good money. and I ill not sell my mare or my show gelding..I do take care of them, they get fed,wormed,shots,etc and get groomed everynite, i just cant ride all the time.... i ride about 2 hours a week...if you call that not taking care of my horses to the extent to where i should sell them, youve gotta be a little loopy....
Glad you've found a place you like! Sometimes it's tough to find a place you really like with little or no drama. I hope it works out for you and wish the best!

#12 ·
amp23 is 110% awesome! and Yeah, its not the closest boardning facility, there is one about amile from my house but there are abunch of middle schooled kids running the place and the facility owner is never there and in really bad debt so imma pass on that one. The one I found has 5 older women and they are super nice, the facility is really nice too! very clean!!! and has alot of amenities, like trails and an arena! its $250 a month, NOT bad for this kind of facility at all!!! I just need the lady to get back with me!

#13 ·
Glad you found a place to move them so that you are not worried. I am a bit confused tho.....you have 3 horses, do not have time to work any of them, are trying to sell one for "good money", (even tho you admit he is not worked), and then have a show gelding (reiner) in training. It has been my experience that when the show gelding comes home, which you have said is soon, he will require riding to maintain his training, right? Hmmm. Just confused why you keep getting them, investing $$ (reining as a sport is expensive) when you cannot work the ones you have? Just has me thinking. But-your business, for sure. Good luck with that.:wink:

Frankly, I am leaning with the lease them, sell them group. If you are supporting them you have to be working multiple jobs (given your age, unless you have won the lottery).....to support them, and then don;t even have the time to enjoy them. Especially when they are boarded.
Just a thought.

#15 ·
Well the gelding that Im selling is my husband (in my name but i let him do what he wants with his horse) I did offer to him to lease Tank out but he said he just wants to sell him. My husband is working alot too but has more time than me and still wont ride unless Im able to ride with him, He also wants to take some of the money to fix his transmission in his truck and then buy another horse later on, Its his decision, I hate to see tank sell and Im in no hurry to sell him... and I will proably lease Max out when he gets home. I understand where you are coming from though.

#16 ·
oh and I do get a day off... and my job is only this busy because of the time of year, it slows down in the fall and spring for some reason... so I will have around 3 days off and a couple extra hours a day... tank is worked all the time when its fall and spring, and the hubby rides when i ride (once a week). Money is not the problem here, its the safety of my horses too btw. tank is being sold under my husband... its not me lol

#18 ·
ive bred before and I will not say agian that I am not the one wanting money. I do have a husband who doesnt want his horse and wants to sell him, that HIS choice, not mine. I have said he wants a transmition for his car and he needs alot of other stuff, I have money for boarding,training and breeding or else i would not be doing so. I am not a first time horse person and I know all the fees that apply for showing,breeding etc. quite frankly I can and will do what i please with my horses and its non of anyones buisness. yes one horse is up for sale. yes I have a horse in training, yes I have to board and yes I have a mare in foal..whats so hard to understand about this? lol like seriously? you really have to troll me about selling my horse? and this thread is about my horses safety, not my horse up for sale... dont worry about the details of my life and stay on topic =) if you do so I will not get nasty =)

#19 ·
and if your problem is that I have 3 horses and I ride once a week, groom, feed, and muck stalls EVERYDAY! the you seriously are out of ur mind. My intensions for this thread were not for people to look down on me because Im not riding everyday, my intentions were to get some good advice on what i should do about my horses and my problem, if you strongly assume I neglect my horses and that I am a stupid horse person then how about remember the topic of this thread and consider that people like are the type of people who are making me move my horses for board =)

#25 ·
I would definitely move your horses. If your father owns the land, he may be able to get backboard or something unless you have your arrangement with him in writing somewhere. Its sounds though like everything was probably verbally agreed upon.

What is your Fresian Crossed with? The only Fresian crosses I've been around have been crossed with a TBs and they were giants. Yours is a nice height.

#29 ·
There are too many reasons to list why someone may work more than one job to support their horse hobby. Mortgage, rent, utilities, other bills not related to the horses, hospital bills, student loans, or merely wanting to build up a savings account. Not to mention all jobs pay differently.

Good for the OP to be such a hard worker! That shows a true love for her horses that she is willing to work so hard. I don't know the age of the OP, but as you get older (older than 18-21) you will have more bills and more responsibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.