The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   first aid kit for horses on humans for trail ride (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/first-aid-kit-horses-humans-trail-9460/)

sempre_cantando 05-29-2008 03:09 AM

first aid kit for horses on humans for trail ride

Hi Everyone

I go trail riding either alone or with my sister(s) and I was thinking the other day that it would be good to take a first aid kit along in case we ever needed it. I don't want something that contains so much stuff, we could be mistaken for travelling sales-people on horseback :lol: it needs to be small so it can easily be taken in a saddle bag. I also want it to be for both horses and humans.

some ideas so far:
- triangle bandage (to make sling)

thats as far as i got! Any suggestions would be great!

PS I always take a mobile phone, so no need to suggest that :-P

Rachluvshorses4eva 05-29-2008 03:24 AM

Defenatly a ventilon (puffer) if someone has asthma, bandages and lots of them, water (you can get lost not that much of first aid) tape for your fingers knees etc, Also google search first aid things and see what happens!

Kadiel 05-29-2008 03:54 AM

I think some sort of antiseptic cream would be nice to include.

For any cuts or grazes. I know there are some out there which are suitable for both human and horse use.

Great idea to have a 1st aid kit with you.

Do you always have a mobile phone with you? I think thats important in case you need to call for help.

Vidaloco 05-29-2008 07:27 AM

I guess it depends on how big a pack you take with you. I always take a lead rope that can double as a turniquet. I am thinking of adding a 6" piece of garden hose for snake bite. I wear a bandana around my neck and one in my pack for covering her eyes if we are in a predicament, general staunching of blood or making a sling. Think small and double duty on all things. I have a horsemans knife that never comes out of my saddle bag. Hubby carries a leatherman tool for wire cutting or tack breakage. I carry little towelettes of hand sanitizer. One of us always has water a gps and the cell phone.

Dumas'_Grrrl 05-29-2008 10:05 AM

I bought a small first aid kit at a dollar store... It has band-aids and alcohol pads, small packets of antiseptic ointment and a teeny bottle of betadine. I carry that in additon to a couple bandanas and then water and we usually have a lead like vida described. I also keep a roll of electrical tape handy.

NorthernMama 05-29-2008 04:51 PM

It'd be nice to know where you are posting from -- Vidalco needs to think about snake bits -- up here, we need to think about keeping warm, so w/proof matches and lighter always. Let's start a list and if we all keep quoting it, it'll get nice and long, right???

NorthernMama 05-29-2008 05:02 PM

Our ideas for a Trail Kit -- for first aid and being lost!

triangle bandage
puffer
bandages
water
tape -- first aid, electrical, duct...
antiseptic cream
cell phone
spare lead rope
snake bite kit -- garden hose... anything else?
bandanas
knife
multi-tool for tack repair, wire cutting, etc.
towelettes
gps
alcohol pads
betadine
matches / lighter
map
**tell someone where you are going**
epi-pen
whistle (3 blows calls for help)

deannatwb 05-29-2008 10:18 PM

Oh wow, I never take my epi-pen what a great idea for my cantle bag. I will have to take it with me from now own.

In addition to some of the other items mentioned I take:
Knife that has a clip on the side, I clip it on the inside of my boot so that saves a little space.
Roping Rein (Just in case a rein breaks!)
Lip Balm (not first aid, but important!)
Water
Vet Wrap
A Mini flashlight That clips to my saddle

Kadiel 05-30-2008 12:12 AM

Just wondering... what is an epi pen? :oops:

Vidaloco 05-30-2008 07:32 AM

Its an emergency injection of epinephrine (sp?) for anyone who is allergic to something. It will keep you from going into anaphylactic shock. I am suppose to carry them (allergic to wasp stings) but I dont :oops: Its a great idea though.