The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Turn on the fore/ hind and practical applications to more advanced movements. (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/turn-fore-hind-practical-applications-more-94612/)

Spyder 08-09-2011 11:46 PM

Turn on the fore/ hind and practical applications to more advanced movements.

There has been a few threads asking how this is done and most of them are very well explained however these movements by themselves are not the be all and end of this exercise.

They are the precursors to the advancement of other movements, exercises and overall betterment in control and suppleness of the horse.

So certainly I could just post a series of do this then do than and voila you have a turn on the hind and turn of the fore but I rather have some fun and see if we can unlock the logical thinking ( and out of the box thinking) of those that reply.

So my questions are, knowing what you know about these movements WHERE would you expect these movements to take you ?

Second...assuming you have them down pat at the walk, just what would you do with them to challenge yourself.

And lastly for those that are having trouble doing either of them does anyone wish to explain how they would teach the horse these exercises.

Shasta1981 08-10-2011 08:49 PM

Oh heck I'll try. If I'm totally wrong, I will learn.

Where would I expect these movements to take me... I guess I would think this would help bring the rider and horse along with collection and, ultimately into a canter pirouette.

If I had it down pat at the walk I would work on it at the trot.

Spyder 08-10-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shasta1981 (Post 1132598)
Oh heck I'll try. If I'm totally wrong, I will learn.

Where would I expect these movements to take me... I guess I would think this would help bring the rider and horse along with collection and, ultimately into a canter pirouette.

If I had it down pat at the walk I would work on it at the trot.

VERY GOOD.

Now in what way would you make the ordinary turn on the fore more interesting....even at the walk?

Shasta1981 08-10-2011 09:30 PM

Different levels of collection at the walk?

Spyder 08-10-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shasta1981 (Post 1132645)
Different levels of collection at the walk?

This was a difficult question so I will tell you and you try to tell me what it is.

Turn on the forehand in motion. ( can be done at walk or trot.)

equiniphile 08-10-2011 09:52 PM

Canter pirouette, and could it translate into half-pass in regards to moving the haunches over?

ETA: Also in travers and renvers?

Shasta1981 08-10-2011 09:56 PM

You might need to dumb-it down some more! A half pass?

Spyder 08-10-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 1132673)
Canter pirouette, and could it translate into half-pass in regards to moving the haunches over?

Yes the canter pirouette is the ultimate end to the turn on the hind. I consider it the hardest of all dressage movements...beyond piaffe or passage even.

So from a turn on the hind at walk where would you take it and still maintain the integrity of an actual turn?

Spyder 08-10-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shasta1981 (Post 1132677)
You might need to dumb-it down some more! A half pass?

Ok I will explain what it is and YOU tell me what benefit you feel it gives and what difficulties you would expect in its training.

Imagine a pole standing upright in the middle of the arena. This could easily be a jump standard.

Now do a turn on the fore AROUND (describing a circle around the fixed object) that pole so that each step REMAINS a turn on the fore and does not degenerate into something else.

Shasta1981 08-10-2011 10:17 PM

This sounds like it would be a good exercise to get the horse relaxed and pliable. I think that difficulties with this would be loss of forward motion and keeping the haunch from swinging out of the circle. Maybe over flexing at the neck if not enough outside rein is used effectively. Sound plausible?