The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   NRHA show this weekend! (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/nrha-show-weekend-94613/)

Reininginga 08-09-2011 11:47 PM

NRHA show this weekend!

1 Attachment(s)
I am so looking forward to showing my new horse this weekend in Perry, Ga. After losing my beautiful Conquistador Whiz mare a month ago to an as yet undiagnosed neurological illness, I bought another mare with the same breeding. She is not quite as quircky tho! lol We are competing in the Non Pro Derby on Friday, which is a first for me. I just have to conquer my fear of run in patterns, as it is Pattern 9. I need to remember to build slowly and steadily to that first stop. Any advice for clicking with a new horse at our first show together?

gigem88 08-10-2011 09:55 AM

Very nice horse and good luck at your show. Please take photos and share with us!

equiniphile 08-10-2011 12:36 PM

Agreed; lots of pics!! As for "clicking" at shows, when I get there I let them have a look around, eat some grass, call out to the other horses, and just take in the whole atmosphere. Then I'll tie them to the trailer to go register, and after that, I keep them with me as much as I can. Walk them over to the drinking faucet, rinse them down by the showers, and just walk them around the fairgrounds, letting them get a feel for it. When it's time to warm up, I give myself a lot of time and work on focus. Now that you've let him see everything, it's time for him to trust that nothing is worrysome and focus on listening to YOU. Keep calm and relaxed; tensing at anything will work up an already nervous horse. When it's time to do your pattern, trust in your horse and yourself that you've done everything you possibly could to prepare him for this, and that you're going out to prove it.

Good luck, and have fun!

cowgirls4 08-11-2011 01:31 AM

She is BEAUTIFUL!

Reininginga 08-11-2011 07:47 AM

We had a good warm up yesterday in the show pen. Got her settled in her stall with fans blowing and dealt with the paperwork etc. She was calm and relaxed and ate and drank well (she has a history in her 2 previous shows of refusing to drink, but I started her on electrolytes 3 days ago and it has done the trick). We then rode in the show pen and she was great, shied once at something on the bleachers but I let her look and she was fine after that. She was stopping 30 ft plus on that ground! Pictures later! First class today, pattern 4 which i like!

equiniphile 08-11-2011 10:28 AM

Can't wait to see pics!! I absolutely love reining; it has to be my favorite discipline.

SorrelHorse 08-13-2011 10:44 PM

She looks great, and the only way to really click is to just be together and try to listen to you horse. Most of the time my reiners know me better than I do, haha :)

pintophile 08-13-2011 11:13 PM

Subscribing, can't wait to see pictures! I agree with equiniphile-reining is one of my absolute favourite horse sports.

Your mare is gorgeous, Reininginga. Sorry about losing your other.

Reininginga 08-14-2011 09:34 PM

Had a great weekend. Took a few classes to get the hang of showing my new mare, but we put it together today with a of 69 in Novice Non Pro. Still need to work on spins, I'm pulling her around and not going to leg so she is binding up. With a bit more confidence I can start running a little harder in the circles and down to the stops. then maybe we can plus some maneuvers. Posting video from today:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...71660&comments