The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help with saddle pads (western)

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  GallopingGrape 
#1 ·
I had to order a new saddle with an 8" gullet to fit my APHA mare with extremely broad shoulders. Fits great up front, but of course there is space between the saddle and the pad towards her rear. I'm sure it sits down a bit more once I hop on, but I'm wondering if there is some time of pad that can go towards the rear of the saddle to reduce that extra spacing? Any thoughts/advice is appreciated!

#2 ·
When the saddle gaps up at the rear like that, that means that it is likely sitting down too far on her shoulders because it is just a bit too wide. If you are going to build up anywhere, it will need to be there. You might need to look into those more expensive pads that you can put shims in where you need them. I know that they make built up western pads but I would imagine that they are much too thick and you only need something fairly thin to add a bit more width to her shoulders under the bars.

#5 ·
My next guess, if the front fits well, is that the rocker curve is too curvy and her back is flatter than the bars of the saddle. You might want to get a saddle fitter out so that they can see exactly where it doesn't fit and if there is a pad that can help.

#6 ·
Make your own shim out of felt or a towel (just temporary) and place it under the front of the bars to see if it helps. Ride with these shims and make sure that you are getting full bar contact from front to back, and that the shims are not making the saddle pinch. If this all works, then your saddle is just a touch too wide. You can make your own shims and duct tape them either to your saddle pad (no one will see) or under your saddle. Or you can buy a really expensive pad to do the trick!

Kim
www.GallopingGrape.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.