The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   *The Counter canter and other random Questions* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/%2A-counter-canter-other-random-questions%2A-94649/)

TheQuietGirl 08-10-2011 09:35 AM

*The Counter canter and other random Questions*

Hi everybody! These are just a few questions that I had on the top of my head and I was hoping you could help me out. Thanks!:-P

1. Is the counter canter bad? I read in a book that it's uncomfortable for the horse and rider and that you should stop asap. But my instructor told me that it's fine as long as the rider asks for it and it's not an accident that happened while asking for the canter on the correct lead.

2. What are those rough bumpy-things that are on the inside of a horse's legs?

3. ... I forgot my last one.:-( Oh well, I guess I will just post more when I remember! Bye!

pintophile 08-10-2011 09:52 AM

The counter canter isn't bad if you ask for it. Otherwise, yes, it is fairly uncomfortable and you generally want the horse to pick up the lead you ask for.

The things on the insides of horse's legs are chestnuts. Not sure what they're there for...maybe they're remnants of prehistoric toes? I have no idea-have to do some research.

LoveDressage 08-11-2011 08:30 AM

1- Counter canter is actually a dressage exercise, and it's okay if you're doing it by asking your horse to actually pick the outside lead or just by doing a diagonal on canter to from the right to the left and keep on cantering in the right leg. In conclusion you should do it, only when asking your horse to do it. And if it isn't your intention to counter canter, and you've asked your horse to canter and he picks the wrong lead, you should immediately ask your horse to trot again, or walk, if you're doing a walk to canter trasition, and give him more correct aids so he picks up the right lead.
If your intention is to counter canter, make sure you don't push the horse too deep in the corners, so he can keep his balance and doesn't break into trot who does a flying change.
And for your second question, it's a chestnut as it was said before.