The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Driving Test - I'm scared! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/driving-test-im-scared-94651/)

Equus_girl 08-10-2011 10:41 AM

Driving Test - I'm scared!

I've had my learner's license for almost 2 years and am going to make an appointment soon to take my driving test. I need to phone and find out the cost and when I can go. I have done small town driving and am familiar with that type of stuff. Just this last week I've been learning to parallel park. I have to get more comfortable with that before I take the test though. I've been told my angle parking is perfect.

I'm scared though! I haven't taken Drivers Ed and I'm hoping there aren't things in there they teach that I haven't learned. I've heard they are harder on you if you haven't taken it too. My biggest concern I think though is that I'm going to get nervous and maybe do something stupid that I would never usually do. Just out of nervousness or forgetting. Like a signal light for instance.

Has anyone on here recently taken the Driver's test? I live in Alberta if that helps any. The woman that does the testing has a reputation for passing you if she likes you and not if she doesn't. Obviously she'd have to have other reasons, but it still makes me nervous.

I dunno, I guess I do need to just go and at least take it, I just really don't want to fail. I can't really afford it and I'm going to feel kinda stupid if I do!

Sunny 08-10-2011 11:13 AM

I don't know about Alberta, but where I live you can actually make a lot of little mistakes and still pass.

Some things are an automatic fail, though. Like hitting a curb or not checking your blind spot when changing lanes.

Don't worry about being nervous. I guarantee you the instructors have seen plenty of nervous kids and it's just a part of their daily routine. :lol:

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 08-10-2011 11:30 AM

Agree, I don't think there is a single person who isn't nervous when going to take the driver's test. They don't expect you to be perfect, small mistakes are acceptable. You'll do just fine, especially if you've been driving for 2 years :D. Just remember to check your blind spots, put on your seatbelt, and obey the road signs.

Just take a few deep breaths, you'll be fine :D.

Equus_girl 08-10-2011 11:34 AM

Thanks! I guess I should just take it! I just learned the parallel parking though and sometimes it is perfect and sometimes I hit the curb. Got to get that better!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sunny 08-10-2011 11:38 AM

We don't have to do parallel parking here anymore. Now we do 3-point-turns.
Posted via Mobile Device

Equus_girl 08-10-2011 11:41 AM

Which are those?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sunny 08-10-2011 11:44 AM

This link may not work since I'm on my phone, but I'll try.

YouTube - How to perform a 3-point turn

If not you can just search "three point turn" on Youtube.

It's pretty easy. The only confusing part is the blinkers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Equus_girl 08-10-2011 11:49 AM

Awesome thank-you!
Posted via Mobile Device

Rowdy Girl 08-10-2011 12:40 PM

JUST went through this with my daughter...and she only had a years worth of driving... just kept instilling some mega point's
1. always adjust your mirror's..
2. use your blinker
3. make sure you are aware of your blind spot's
4. USE your mirror's when driving with Instuctor
5. Brake evenly..as well as excelarate evenly
6. YIELD to aggessive driver's... let them go around you...
7. Relax ! and breath...and God forbid..don't turn on the radio... :)

These were the main issue's... and when she rec'd her Cert. the Instuctor told me she was 3 yrs a head of most kid's her age 16.

Good Luck...you'll do just great !

themacpack 08-10-2011 12:42 PM

It is intimidating - just breathe and relax. You can do this!!!!