The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   What to do about Dreadlocks? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/what-do-about-dreadlocks-94661/)

Sonnyx12 08-10-2011 01:49 PM

What to do about Dreadlocks?

A friend of mine has a few horses that he used to do reining with, so they ahve really long manes. I want to help clean them up, but all of them have horrible dreadlocks. Like at least 75% of their manes are in huge knots.

My horse has a short mane but I use Mane N Tail Detangler on his tail and it works great! But with his tail, its just like the hair gets stuck together, but with the other horse's manes, it is seriously knotted. So I don't think that a simple detangler is going to work.

Any ideas? I don't really want to cut them, but I feel like that is going to be the only option.

Equilove 08-10-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonnyx12 (Post 1132168)
A friend of mine has a few horses that he used to do reining with, so they ahve really long manes. I want to help clean them up, but all of them have horrible dreadlocks. Like at least 75% of their manes are in huge knots.

My horse has a short mane but I use Mane N Tail Detangler on his tail and it works great! But with his tail, its just like the hair gets stuck together, but with the other horse's manes, it is seriously knotted. So I don't think that a simple detangler is going to work.

Any ideas? I don't really want to cut them, but I feel like that is going to be the only option.

Usually it's just the mane twisted. Savanna's mane gets like that. Just twist it and try to separate it in hunks, and then wet it down and put some detangler on it and pull the rest apart (try not to break the hair - sometimes pulling too hard just knots it worse).

BarrelracingArabian 08-10-2011 01:52 PM

well it would take a while but you could try using a conditioner washing the mane first and then rinsing it out repeat once more then use the spray in conditioner let it sit for a minute or so then (not recommended by many) but use a comb to try and work the knots free.

gigem88 08-10-2011 01:57 PM

Once I get the knots out, I spray Mane n Tail detangler on it. I spray it on my gelding's mane everyday to keep the knots from forming. Seems to work and he has long and thick mane!

Taffy Clayton 08-10-2011 02:04 PM

Cowboy Magic is great!!! I have tried lots of products before not wanting to pay the price for Cowboy Magic, It is worth the price and then some. So easy too, just work in and the comb slides right through. I used to cut bad knots out ... never again.

Rachel1786 08-10-2011 02:05 PM

Survivor is fantastic, I use it when I'm grooming a matted dog also, it also smells great. You can probably find it cheaper somewhere else, but Eqyss Survivor Detangler and Shine - Shine & Condition from SmartPak Equine so you can check it out.

smrobs 08-10-2011 02:11 PM

I'm cheap so I just use baby oil. Saturate the mane/tail, let it sit for a few minutes then either use your fingers or a large toothed comb to slowly work the knots out, starting at the bottom of the mane. It takes a while and, if you use a comb, you will break off and pull out a fair amount of hair, but it's easier and faster than just using your fingers. IMHO, cutting should only be a very last resort and that's only if you either don't plan to show or if a roached mane is acceptable in said show ring.

Dressage10135 08-10-2011 02:13 PM

Another vote for Cowboy Magic.. there was a horse out at the ranch whose entire tail was one giant knot. We were able to get it all out (it took a few sessions but it worked).

Sonnyx12 08-10-2011 02:17 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

If I am going to try a detangle product, should I wash and/condition it first?

Dressage10135 08-10-2011 02:21 PM

No, getting it wet will just make the knots even tighter in my experience. Get all the tangles out with the product and THEN wash it out.