The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   too good to be true??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/too-good-true-94710/)

liz85 08-10-2011 11:41 PM

too good to be true???

I am new here so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!!
I am looking to buy my first horse and am still in the planning and double checking finances to make sure that it will all work out worst case scenario.

So I was on a site just browsing horses for sale and ran across a horse for lease with the option of lease to own. which i think would be great to get to know the horse before buying her. all the owner asks is half of board and i will get half the week up to 4 days. my friend used to board there and said it was about 300$ so it would be about 150. my friend also said she would give me free lessons(she has been training and showing her whole life but recently had to sell her horses and would just love to around them again) the stable is also about 3 min from my house and was the stable i was looking at boarding my horse at whenever I got one....
any thoughts????
she has a youtube video and i had my friend watch it....the horse has also placed at numerous shows

BlondieHorseChic 08-11-2011 12:06 AM

It will give you a good taste of horse life and if you have to bail it won't be as bad as if you owned. Even though it is a lease treat it like a buy, ask questions, trial rides, visit, and get it set in stone what your agreement is just incase there is a mix up then it is in ink.

kitten_Val 08-11-2011 06:46 AM

Liz, to me it sounds like a very good deal. Trained horse, up to 4 days rides, and $150 is not bad at all. How experienced are you? If you are more of a beginner I'd suggest to ride this horse first couple times to see if it's a good match and not too much of horse. And if you both click and you decide on lease be sure to write/sign the contract with the owner.

liz85 08-11-2011 01:21 PM

I have taken lessons before but as a child....so due to my absence from riding I would say novice. I called the lady this morning and I get to meet her and the horse this afternoon!!

gigem88 08-11-2011 01:24 PM

good luck, post some photos!

ohmyitschelle 08-13-2011 01:23 AM

Interested in hearing how this goes, keep us informed XD

SMCLeenie 08-13-2011 05:14 PM

That sounds great. Try to take someone with you (Maybe your friend who is giving you lessons) who knows horses and might spot some thing you wont. That saved me when I was horse shopping. Looking forward to knowing how it goes!