The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Blue eyes=going blind (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/blue-eyes%3Dgoing-blind-94711/)

DoubleJ2 08-11-2011 12:44 AM

Blue eyes=going blind

I have a cremello pony that has blue eyes. He is a tad bit blind. Do blue eyes make horses blind?

BlondieHorseChic 08-11-2011 12:50 AM

I wouldn't think it makes them any more or less prone to blindness. I know lots of old paint horses with blue eye/eyes and still see fine.

DoubleJ2 08-11-2011 12:59 AM

Yea i didn't think so but I have heard that.

bubba13 08-11-2011 01:03 AM

No. But his eyes may be more sensitive to the sun, meaning that the light makes him squint, affecting his vision, and his pink skin also makes him more susceptible to cancer of the eyes. I'd turn him out in a fly mask and see about tattooing his eyes.

HannahFaith 08-11-2011 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 1132894)
No. But his eyes may be more sensitive to the sun, meaning that the light makes him squint, affecting his vision, and his pink skin also makes him more susceptible to cancer of the eyes. I'd turn him out in a fly mask and see about tattooing his eyes.

ok i have to ask because i've never heard of such a thing... tattooing eyes?!

CowgirlsR4Ever300 08-11-2011 02:37 AM

On my paint gelding I use the black paint stuff that football players use.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 08-11-2011 07:05 AM

Our lead mare, 17 years old, with 2 blue eyes has no trouble seeing in the sun or adjusting to changes in the light when riding from the fields into the woods, and our Paint breeder friends with lots of one and two blue eyed horses have never had a blind horse in 40+ years.

bubba13 08-11-2011 02:49 PM

New Covenant Ink - Equine Tattooing

Cherie 08-11-2011 06:47 PM

Paint horses generally do not go blind, but I have known several pearlinos that have gone nearly blind and stumble into things all of the time. Some people we know put a pearlino filly down at one year that stumbled into fences and fell down repeatedly when put out in a pasture. The Vet told them that some pearlinos and cremelleos do indeed have vision problems.

MySerenity 08-11-2011 10:11 PM

I have a paint mini who has double blue eyes and white skin around them. My vet recently noticed that his retinas are adhering to the lens. Sorry I don't remember the correct term. She said it's more common in blue eye'd horses especially when they are white skinned around the eyes. I guess they get eye infections, the infections cause the retina to be inflamed and then it can attach to the lens. Eventually they have diminished sight or blindness but you can help by treating any infections they get. Don't know if that's what happened to your horse though. Have you had a vet weigh in on the subject?