The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Help!I Rescued Horses and Need Advice A.S.A.P (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-i-rescued-horses-need-advice-94736/)

Ishara09 08-11-2011 10:54 AM

Help!I Rescued Horses and Need Advice A.S.A.P

I've just rescued two horses from their previous owner who couldn't care for them at all. They we're starving, haven't been wormed, or even had a bath or trimming in I'm not sure how long. I now have them with me but I'm not sure on what to feed them and do in order to make them bigger and healthier. They're literally so small you can see their rib cage and hip bones:cry::sad:I really just need help and advice on what I should do.

Could you also post before and after pics or skinny horses for inspiration

gigem88 08-11-2011 11:00 AM

I would contact a vet and discuss your options! Do you have photos you can share?

Ishara09 08-11-2011 11:19 AM

They have an appointment to see the vet today and thanks for the advice I'm not exactly sure how to post pics in the forum but if I figure it out I will.

gigem88 08-11-2011 11:31 AM

I hope it goes well, they are lucky to have you care for them now. Keep updating when you can.

Ishara09 08-11-2011 11:37 AM

pics of the horses I saved

2 Attachment(s)
These are the pics of the horses I rescued.

Allison Finch 08-11-2011 11:53 AM

Bless you for doing this!!!

Be careful about worming without a vets advice. If they have a huge worm load, killing and detaching them can be a little problematic. I would contact a local rescue/humane society and get advice from them. Lots of water a good quality hay is always a good start. Starting a lot of high grain products too soon may be more than they can bear.

Endiku 08-11-2011 12:10 PM

I would also get those feet worked on. They don't look terrible, but I'm only seeing some rough pictures. They're definately long with what I'm thinking is 4-5 months of growth, and that can cause problems. Better to correct it now than to wait too long.

You could start with providing them with some quality hay. Roughage is very helpful for a horse's digestive tract. I'd advise in not using any alfalfa yet, or if you do- soak some alfalfa cubes in water- don't just give them plain alfalfa. Some timothy or something similar might be good.

When the vet comes you can discuss a better diet for them, and Allison Finch made a good point about the rescues. Many of them are very willing to give advise!

wyominggrandma 08-11-2011 12:10 PM

when we rescued our guy we started feeding him senior grain a small amount at a time to start, around the clock, plus free choice hay. He was wormed, then wormed again, then given a power pak. All this was done with the vet's advice and followup care and checkups. took him about 5 months to really look normal, but you could actually see the weight gain almost every day it seemed.
good luck and the horses are so lucky you found them in time.

Ishara09 08-11-2011 01:41 PM

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice it's greatly appreciated! But one more question. I doubt they're registered, by any chance does anyone know what I might need to do in order to get that taken care of?

DraftyAiresMum 08-11-2011 01:53 PM

Any particular reason you want them registered? As has been said many times by my BO, "Papers don't make the horse."

Besides, without knowing their breed(s) or their parents, I doubt there's any way you can register them with any of the major registries (not that that's a problem, but it sounded like you wanted them registered with like the AQHA or APHA or similar).