The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Size? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/size-94751/)

HorseLoverHunter 08-11-2011 02:06 PM

Size?

Our family is looking for a horse this winter/spring and I was wondering, what size horse would be good? I am about 5 foot. My sister is about 4 foot 8, my mom is about 5 foot 3, and my dad is about 5 foot 5. We are a short family and wondering how tall of a horse would fit our whole family. Maybe a tall pony or small horse? Please say about how many hands you think would be good? Thanks!

gigem88 08-11-2011 02:22 PM

I think anywhere from 14.2 to 15.2 would be good. Tall enough without looking too intimidating for the shorter folk!

HorseLoverHunter 08-11-2011 02:54 PM

What I was thinking too! Thanks!

Macslady 08-13-2011 03:05 PM

I am 5'7" and I want to put a something out there to think of for the adult rider who is around 5'3" - 5'5". Are you going to be riding on a trail with this horse or staying in a field. I really wouldn't recommend a 15.2 or 3 horse for a rider that height. Overall you would be better not to exceed 15 hands. I 15 hand horse is still tall enough, especially a stocky one and will be much easier for the smaller riders to mount without the aid of a mounting block. Especially on a trail.

I know at my height a horse over 15.1 can be a bit to get on when on trail and i have to stop and get off to pick up something.

hflmusicislife 08-14-2011 03:52 PM

It depends what you all are comfortable on. I'm 5'1, and look perfectly fine on anything between 11h- 16h. However, I prefer ponies and would much rather ride a 12-14h pony than a horse in the 15h+ range. My sister is 4'11ish and her horse is 15.3. She looks great on him, but when she gets on any pony she's really uncomfortable. I have a friend who's my height, and she likes 16h+ 17h is nothing to her. It's a complete personal preference. Luckily for you, you can fit on just about anything :)

Crossover 08-22-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseLoverHunter (Post 1133335)
Our family is looking for a horse this winter/spring and I was wondering, what size horse would be good? I am about 5 foot. My sister is about 4 foot 8, my mom is about 5 foot 3, and my dad is about 5 foot 5. We are a short family and wondering how tall of a horse would fit our whole family. Maybe a tall pony or small horse? Please say about how many hands you think would be good? Thanks!

As a 5'1" adult and smaller in her youth I've always prefered the smaller horses. Not only are they easier to get on but easier to fall off. :lol:

My favorite girl was a 14.1 horse and I was able to jump 3'6". It was a big jump but she did well. My friends first horse was a pony about 12.5hh and he had no problems staying up with my 14.2 mare when we raced. Personally, if I ever buy a riding horse again... I'm sticking with the under 15hh range.

All in all... stick with what you feel comfortable with..try some horses out of all sizes.