The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mouthing

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  RD11 
#1 ·
My 1 month old colt is mouthing everything. I know it's normal, but I don't want it to turn into biting. How do I correct this?
Also, is there a way to save the mare's mane & tail from the baby eating it? My neighbor's 4 month old colt made his mama's mane & tail so short. Dakota has a tail that touches the ground & I'd hate to see that reduced to a stump. I thought about a tail bag, but she would most likely find a way to take it off. She doesn't like anything on her (blankets, fly masks) and I usually end up collecting it from the ground or fence or stall where she took it off at.

#2 ·
I don't really think these things are something you should really worry over. If his mouthing gets too rough just set some boundaries and show him your boss, you could shove him away, yell "no", stomp, clap your hands loudly, etc...just don't hit him. And about the mane/tail chewing, you could wrap the it up or braid it. Also you could provide him with things to nibble on(mineral block, hanging stall treats, and a little of whatever mama horse eats, he'll probably try it too), which will most likely keep him busy and from chewing on his mom's hair. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.