The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   Someone set me straight about these Horse Rescue farms~! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/someone-set-me-straight-about-these-94800/)

Annnie31 08-12-2011 12:44 AM

Someone set me straight about these Horse Rescue farms~!

Recently a so called Rescue Farm here in Ontario advertised a nice weanling filly they rescued that was up for adoption. I thought geech, I have the money, I have the time, I was a breeder for several years and raised Quarter Horses and showed so what the hey... ask about the filly and see what happens.
I sent an email with a request for the adoption fees etc and whatever they wanted by way of paperwork etc.
The email I got back was interesting....the person who owns this rescue farm tells me she has three offers of $500. which is more than the $300 she was going to ask for the filly so if I was interested in her I would have to wait and see what happens with the other two offers. She called it a bidding war for gods sakes. I got the distinct impression she was trying to get me to pay even more than the $500 supposed bids she already had.
When I read the contract it was interesting....you are never allowed to sell the horse unless you offer it back to them for the original cost and you must give them 90 days to come up with the money (a lousy $500 fee)
Am I crazy or does this rescue place smell more like a horse trading joint? Arent Rescue Farms supposed to adopt the horses out at a flat fee or do they charge by whatever value they want to put on a horse? Im a bit confused here .:-x

Spyder 08-12-2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annnie31 (Post 1133990)
Recently a so called Rescue Farm here in Ontario advertised a nice weanling filly they rescued that was up for adoption. I thought geech, I have the money, I have the time, I was a breeder for several years and raised Quarter Horses and showed so what the hey... ask about the filly and see what happens.
I sent an email with a request for the adoption fees etc and whatever they wanted by way of paperwork etc.
The email I got back was interesting....the person who owns this rescue farm tells me she has three offers of $500. which is more than the $300 she was going to ask for the filly so if I was interested in her I would have to wait and see what happens with the other two offers. She called it a bidding war for gods sakes. I got the distinct impression she was trying to get me to pay even more than the $500 supposed bids she already had.
When I read the contract it was interesting....you are never allowed to sell the horse unless you offer it back to them for the original cost and you must give them 90 days to come up with the money (a lousy $500 fee)
Am I crazy or does this rescue place smell more like a horse trading joint? Arent Rescue Farms supposed to adopt the horses out at a flat fee or do they charge by whatever value they want to put on a horse? Im a bit confused here .:-x

The name of this "rescue" is ???

westerncowgurl 08-12-2011 12:49 AM

id like to know the name too

Annnie31 08-12-2011 12:57 AM

Heaven Can Wait Equine Rescue

http://www.heavencanwaitequinerescue.org/

Diva was the weanling I was interested in

Annnie31 08-12-2011 08:10 AM

So anyone...is this a regular practice with farms who run Rescue? or not. One of the excuses the owner gave for accepting the highest bidder is they are in debt $100,000 dollars for their farm...but if having a mortgage is the reason one can call itself a rescue and sell horses to the highest bidder...well that just doesnt seem right since more than half the population of North America are in debt for at least that much money.

Speed Racer 08-12-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annnie31 (Post 1134172)
So anyone...is this a regular practice with farms who run Rescue?

Not legitimate rescues, no.

This woman wants someone else to finance her 'rescue' operation, while she claims sainthood for 'saving' these animals. Seen it far too often. :?

Do you even know if she has a 501(c)3? If not, then she's in no way, shape or form a legitimate rescue. Even with a 501(c)3, too many of them are nothing but hoarders.

coffeegod 08-12-2011 11:04 AM

I found Hugo via a rescue group in Kentucky. His adoption fee was clearly stated on the group's website. They are a non-profit with all paperwork in place. I signed a contract with them. I agreed to abide by this: Adoption Process Explained

I don't know how non-profits work in Canada but there is no mention of that status on the site.

I'm sorry to say it sounds a bit dodgy. The real shame of it is the horse ends up the loser.

equiniphile 08-12-2011 11:14 AM

Common practice? Yep. Appropiate practice? Absolutely not.

I find it interesting that this person has a horse up for "adoption" (Maestro) for 25k. Definitely sounds like a horse trader.

Annnie31 08-12-2011 11:30 AM

I thought the fact that she doesnt want to post adoption fees online, sets prices based on what she feels current market value should be and has more than 30 horses on site is a bit off the wall to call a Rescue.
I guess it could be hard to find legit places here or does anyone know of a legit place in Ontario??

Annnie31 08-12-2011 11:30 AM

and I agree she seems more like a hoarder and horse trader than a rescue.