The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conditioning an Endurance Horse - Where to Start

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Monty77 
#1 ·
Heyy,
I've got a 6 year Arab gelding that I'm trying to get ready for endurance racing. I ride him 6-7 days a week for an hour doing a variety of things, circles, walk/trot/canter, poles, LOTS of trail. Is there anything else I should be doing with him to get him in shape for a 50 mile ride??? HELP!:shock:
Here is a picture of him in case your wondering...

See less See more
#4 ·
your welcome the best thing is to get him used to lots of trotting haha I personally can't handle actual endurance cause of my knees but every year i help train a couple horses including one who tossed me on her first actual outting haha gotta love young ones

#6 ·
I did a couple of them last year. This year we went through a few rough patches due to lameness so our first/last one this year will be a 12 mile at Oktoberfest in Mansfield, ON. If were really feeling up to it we might to the 25.
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·
Hi,

I think you'll find that you have to compete on the lower distance rides first at novice level and then work your way up to open level then you can do the longer distance rides. It may be an idea for you to take your horses heart beat before you go on a hack of about 20km (12.5 miles) and then take it again on your return, that way you may have some idea of his fitness level, if there's not much change that's good!!

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.