The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Bruising...New Bit? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/bruising-new-bit-94832/)

Loyalty09 08-12-2011 01:12 PM

Bruising...New Bit?

My horse Tungsten has been under saddle about six months now. We had been riding him in a jointed snaffle that his previous owners had started him with. They had pretty much just sat on him up until we got him though.

As we have been working him more I have noticed bruising on the top of his mouth. There is not damage on his bars and no bruising on the raised part of his palette. The bruising is on the upper gums where the ridges of his gums hold the bit.

I was currently planning on buying him a double jointed snaffle this weekend and seeing how he does with that. I just wanted to see if anyone had any better suggestions or thinks this is a good place to start. Thanks!

bubba13 08-12-2011 04:28 PM

What does this bruising look like? Can you get pictures?

Loyalty09 08-13-2011 10:11 AM

I can't but the bruising is on his top gum. You can specifically see the ridge that he pushes the bit into with his tounge. I don't know if the bit itself is putting too much pressure there or if it is from him chewing it and it is too thick. Any other thoughts I am hoping to get a new bit tomorrow
Posted via Mobile Device

bubba13 08-13-2011 07:21 PM

If he's insisting on causing himself that much trouble I'd look into a rubber bit....but not one of those super thick ones.

Loyalty09 08-17-2011 12:17 PM

I don't know if I would want to go with a rubber one, it would probably be my last choice. He currently in swearing a 5 1/2 bit and it is a little to small so I was thinking of moving him up to a 6 as well.

What are your thoughts on this bit? French Training Loose Ring Snaffle Bit < Loose Ring Bits < Horse Tack|Dover Saddlery.

bubba13 08-17-2011 12:28 PM

It depends on where the "ridge" from the bit is. If it's on the outer edges of the mouth, I don't think a French link will help. If it's smack-dab in the middle, you may find some benefit. Also, I know it's not very English-y, but if you can find a sweet iron mouth instead, a lot of horses prefer that.

Loyalty09 08-17-2011 12:31 PM

Well, I didn't end up buying a bit Sunday because they did not having anything bigger than a 5. So I will try to get some pictures of the bruising tomorrow.

Saddlebag 08-18-2011 06:29 PM

See if you can borrow a D ring snaffle. The mouthpiece on those is fairly narrow. I suspect the cannons are too thick in the area of the bars. My arab had this problem. I gave him a week off then switched to a D ring. End of problem.

Allison Finch 08-18-2011 06:52 PM

Some horses have a low palate and large diameter bits can be too thick for their mouths. I have seen horses who could, literally, not close their mouth because of a too thick bit. Rubber racing D bits are notorious for being too thick for many horses.

If this is the case, you WILL see that type of bruising.

Loyalty09 08-18-2011 09:34 PM

I got some pictures today and will hopefully be able to put them up tomorrow if you guys could try to take a look, thanks
Posted via Mobile Device