The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Emergency advice needed! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/emergency-advice-needed-94837/)

Jumper4ever 08-12-2011 02:18 PM

Emergency advice needed!

To start out, I'm not very good with clipping. I have a big jumper show tomorrow (A rated) and i wanted to clean up my horses legs. I ended up giving her a really bad clip up to the knee and i don't know how to fix it. We will be wearing front boots but it is kinda embarrassing. Any advice on how to save it?

ScharmLily 08-12-2011 08:42 PM

Maybe post some pics so we can see what it's like. Only thing I can think of is to go shorter. Clip against the grain of the hair, and press the clippers right up against the leg to follow the natural contour. Of course, you don't want to go too short and open the skin up to infection and irritation from bugs, so whether this is a viable option or not depends on how close the clip is right now.

Jumper4ever 08-12-2011 08:43 PM

Too late the snows tomorrow and I'm going to bed. Wakig up at 5 am. I'll just cover it with boots
Posted via Mobile Device

NorthernMama 08-12-2011 09:14 PM

This is not what I would call an emergency. Please save that word for appropriate times. How about "rush" instead next time? Or "show tomorrow - need advise quickly"

Jumper4ever 08-12-2011 09:15 PM

no need to be so moody.

ilovemyPhillip 08-12-2011 09:33 PM

Um, I agree. Its not a life or death situation. Maybe you shouldn't be so Moody. NM was just giving you a tip.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jumper4ever 08-12-2011 09:35 PM

you don't realise what's at stake at this show, but i won't get into this i'm sorry. the title might be a little dramatic but nothing worth getting annoyed about

Jamzimm101987 08-17-2011 06:45 PM

Just a tip, but in the future, clip 2-3 months before a show or just clip every 2-3 months depending on how hairy your horse gets. If you mess up, no big deal because by the time you show, your mistakes will be gone. I have been an exhibitor for Midwest Horse Fair the last several years and I body clip around October...by the time the fair gets around, the horses look like they're wearing their summer coats!!