The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Stronger bit? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/stronger-bit-9484/)

We Control The Chaos 05-29-2008 05:40 PM

Stronger bit?

I currently use a full cheek twisted snaffle in my horses mouth. He has a strong head and it's hard to keep him in control when jumping. I am strong enough while were in the ring...he is fine seeing he is used to it but still fights approaching jumps. The problem is our barn just got a nice new set of cross country jumps in our pasture. :D Depending on what type of day it is he can sometimes be good and not take off after jumping. But, I was thinking about using a stronger bit to give him some brakes so I can work with him more out there so he gets used to it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

dustytrailzz 05-29-2008 06:17 PM

strong bit

Hi there, I've had good luck with just doing circles. This will help the horse give to the bit better. Just sit on his back and walk him in circles using only the inside rein. Don't put any pressure on the outside rein. As he's walking, tighten the inside rein until he keeps slack in it. It just makes their mouths softer. I usually do it a few times each way as a warmup for my horses and to keep their mouths soft.

moomoo 05-29-2008 06:42 PM

Maybe a dutch gag (bubble bit) ? I'm not very good with bits, moo just has a snaffle :lol:

My2Geldings 05-29-2008 07:15 PM

Re: Stronger bit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by We Control The Chaos
I currently use a full cheek twisted snaffle in my horses mouth. He has a strong head and it's hard to keep him in control when jumping. I am strong enough while were in the ring...he is fine seeing he is used to it but still fights approaching jumps. The problem is our barn just got a nice new set of cross country jumps in our pasture. :D Depending on what type of day it is he can sometimes be good and not take off after jumping. But, I was thinking about using a stronger bit to give him some brakes so I can work with him more out there so he gets used to it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Go back to basics and get him to respect your aids.

We Control The Chaos 05-29-2008 10:34 PM

okay i think i might need to re-phrase myself. He has good manners. But he gets excited when we're out in the pasture. He is very strong and can take off and gallop away....i think thats better

JustDressageIt 05-30-2008 12:00 AM

An elevator bit worked wonders in my friend's horse. I do not normally agree with switching bits just for control... thought I'd mention this one though. Here is a loose ring french link elevator: http://www.doversaddlery.com/french-...-0171/cn/1473/

moomoo 05-30-2008 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt
An elevator bit worked wonders in my friend's horse. I do not normally agree with switching bits just for control... thought I'd mention this one though. Here is a loose ring french link elevator: http://www.doversaddlery.com/french-...-0171/cn/1473/

Thats the bit I meant too :D

Rachluvshorses4eva 05-30-2008 07:24 AM

Hmmm. I don't really know. I'll have a look at my theory book and tell you. Your saying that he is a heavy horse right?

Spirithorse 05-30-2008 10:36 AM

Going to a stronger bit is never the answer. You're just managing an impulsive horse's emotions but you aren't fixing it. What happens if he starts to ignore the harsher bit? Get another one? It's a vicious cycle.

If he gets impulsive put him on a circle immediately. As you circle try to push him sideways while on the circle, this can really help calm a horse down. Keep him on the circle until you feel him relax and soften, then you can approach the jump again. The reason you want to do a circle is because the consistancy of it will help calm him down.

Get smarter in your approach, not stronger.

moomoo 05-30-2008 10:38 AM

Its only in the field until he gets used to the jumps isn't it?