The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   More dangerous...bucking or rearing? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/more-dangerous-bucking-rearing-94867/)

RD11 08-12-2011 11:01 PM

More dangerous...bucking or rearing?

Which do most horse riders/owners find more dangerous and challenging, bucking or rearing? And why?

ilovemyPhillip 08-12-2011 11:13 PM

Rearing. I've worked with bucking horses all summer. All you have to do it sit and keep their head up. Running them through the buck. Rearing you have to keep the horse moving, and if they refuse at all they'll rear and get you off. My pony reared for a short time, too much contact with her mouth.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 08-12-2011 11:21 PM

I agree, rearing.

As well as what ilovemyphillip said, rearing can easily lead to flipping right over on you. Especially if you are pulling on them.

barrelracinbaby4 08-12-2011 11:29 PM

Rearing is definitely more dangerous. Many people have horses that buck but the few people I know that have horses that rear have had their horses go over backwards on top of them have been seriously injured. I've known people that have had their back broken, pelvis broken, and severe internal injuries so bad that they're unable to have children. Pretty scary.

Hope this helps. :-)

kitten_Val 08-12-2011 11:44 PM

Rearing. Because horse can lose balance and flip over right on rider. But if giving a choice I wouldn't pick either.

Brighteyes 08-12-2011 11:58 PM

Rearing. I would tackle a bucker, but never ride a rearer.

With bucking, you just fall off. With rearing, the horse could land on you. I can ride a buck -- keep the head up and sit back. Rearers lock up and refuse to go forwards. How do you ride that? The more you irritate a rearer, the worse it may get. You struggle, they flip... Rearing is one of the most dangerous things a horse can do.

Poseidon 08-13-2011 12:30 AM

Rearing, as everyone else has said.

I've been bucked countless times by my mare. When I got her, her hip was out of place so she bucked out of pain when I asked for a lope and once in a while now when she's in heat and just wants to get out of work, she'll buck once or twice. I've never come off and she was disciplined for it, so she knew what she was doing was not acceptable and now if she so much as curls her head, I will yell and she stops. She half-reared on me once and all I could do was hang on and hope she didn't go higher. Not somewhere I want to be.

MHFoundation Quarters 08-13-2011 12:40 AM

Rearing, hands down. I'll take any bucker, bolter, or pretty much any other issue over a rearer any day.

touchofsleep 08-13-2011 01:42 AM

definitely rearing. My horse had a big issue with that when I first got him. I eventually had to flip him after he head butted me. He hasn't done it since then. Except for the other day he went up pretty high but I applied WAY too much contact on his mouth. It was definitely my fault. He bucks a lot too, especially when he is in new places, but that doesn't scare me nor does it affect me. He's 3 and has very little miles on him

waresbear 08-13-2011 01:55 AM

Rearing is scary and can be fatal for a rider. When I was a child, I witnessed a girl being killed by a chronic rearing horse. I am not afraid when a horse bucks, if a horse rears, I am off, gone, good bye.