The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Frozen Semen Straws (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/frozen-semen-straws-94912/)

WVcountrygirl 08-13-2011 12:22 PM

Frozen Semen Straws

If a stallion owner sends you 5 straws of semen, is that 5 different inseminations if you choose or should you administer all 5 at once, half at a time, etc? I AM NOT BREEDING, I'm not really new to horses but I am new to all of the knowledge that comes with them & this is just one of the subjects I'm trying to learn about now (along with gaits & color genetics) :D Thanks

MississippiQueen 08-13-2011 09:28 PM

I'm surprised nobody that has looked at this post knows the answer, especially as common as AI is in the horse world :cry:

ilovemyPhillip 08-13-2011 09:38 PM

I'm also curious. I'm looking into embryo transfer and semen collection for goats (haven't studied it yet) - I bet it's similar with horses.

Avalon Equine 08-14-2011 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVcountrygirl (Post 1135391)
If a stallion owner sends you 5 straws of semen, is that 5 different inseminations if you choose or should you administer all 5 at once, half at a time, etc? I AM NOT BREEDING, I'm not really new to horses but I am new to all of the knowledge that comes with them & this is just one of the subjects I'm trying to learn about now (along with gaits & color genetics) :D Thanks

It depends. There should be explicit instructions that accompany frozen semen that tells how many straws make up an insemination dose. We typically freeze in 5 ml straws and one straw is usually an insemination dose. When purchasing a frozen semen breeding, many come with no live foal guarantee and you will then buy the semen by the dose. If 1/2 ml straws are used, it can take anywhere from 3 to 4 straws per insemination dose to up to 12 straws per insemination dose. With frozen semen, you try to breed as close to ovulation as possible. There are a couple different protocols that can be used, but the standard in the industry is to breed within 6 hours of ovulation. Since you can't exaclty predict ovulation prior to it occurring it usually means that you are going to be breeding post ovulation.

Hope that helps!

Kathy St.Martin
Avalon Equine
Avalon Equine - Home

and

Equine-Reproduction.com, LLC
Equine Reproduction

PecuniaMiAmor 08-14-2011 01:38 AM

^ This.