The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   arab cross-halter question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/arab-cross-halter-question-94919/)

Gidget 08-13-2011 02:43 PM

arab cross-halter question

How do you teach them to stretch their neck? I am wanting to show Stormy. She's arab/welsh but looks more arab. These halter classes are just local. She is a yearling. When do you start teaching them?

Nahvar4ever 08-18-2011 03:21 PM

Hello there :)
I know that we used to show arabs on a small circuit but I will tell you what I remember lol. What you need is a small whip with a string and when you have your horse standing properly (straight in the front and her back leg behind a bit) use the string on the whip as long as she is not scared of it and try to get her attention and pull it away slowly in hopes that she may follow.

If not then food always works too! take some grain in a bucket or even cookies in your hand and get her to stretch out her neck to it, but don't let her feet move! If they do a small pull on the halter can sometimes deter that behaviour. Don't forget to treat her though since she is learning so a handful of oats here and there is a must. You want to make it a fun, positive experience :) If you google some pictures of show arabians you may see what I mean with the whip to get them to lift their head and stretch it out because they are interested in it. I hope this helps a little, and the tips will all depend on your yearling since you know her best!

crimson88 08-19-2011 11:59 AM

I have shown mini's before and they are posed sorta like arabs are. Like Nahvar said, we always used food to teach them and even in the show ring. You want to make sure though that you always enforce good manners when schooling so that she doesn't get mouthy or impatient.