The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gidget kicked me

5K views 49 replies 26 participants last post by  kitten_Val 
#1 ·
I always let Gidget out to graze in an area that she really enjoys. She looks forward to it everyday. She has no issues with me catching her in the pasture but when I went to get her so I could bathe her she started trotting so I walked faster to grab her fly mask and she made a horrible face and purposely kicked me. She hit me in the side of my calf muscle and I fell to the ground...she was being a total Biotch about everything today. I thought I broke my leg but it's just bruised and swollen. I had to have my husband help me catch her as she tried kicking again and it scared me. Once we got her we took her to the round pen to lunge the crap out of her. I tied her up for 2 hours.

I am so upset. Not about the pain but mostly that she kicked me as I thought we had an awesome bond but apparently she's evil. My mom said I should sell her. My husband said I would regret it. I don't want to sell her and if I did I would feel horrible if she hurt someone else and I wouldn't get what I want for her.

Is there anyway to stop this nasty attitude. She is always trying to test me in new ways but this is the first time she fully went at me. I'm devestated.

#2 ·
Durn! That's a shame that G kicked you. That must have hurt like H***!
I think the only thing I would have done was not necesarlily taken her to the round pen but worked her right there! I would have moved her around the pasture and if she so much as cocked an ear back or turned her hind toward me , I'd snake that rope out and "bite" her with it, keeping you out of kicking range.

Next time, when you approach her to catch her, if she turns away from you at all, snake the line out and smack her one, but be sure you are outside of kickgin range. Make her come to you!

There are a lot of threads on here about "walking down a horse", which is a way to catch a hrose in a large pasture who might now want to be caught. I would do this technique and keep pushing her until she actually decides to turn around and COME to you. And from now on, she must come to you. That way she can't kick you. (well, is a lot less likely to try)

#4 ·
Next time, when you approach her to catch her, if she turns away from you at all, snake the line out and smack her one, but be sure you are outside of kickgin range. Make her come to you!

There are a lot of threads on here about "walking down a horse", which is a way to catch a hrose in a large pasture who might now want to be caught. I would do this technique and keep pushing her until she actually decides to turn around and COME to you. And from now on, she must come to you. That way she can't kick you. (well, is a lot less likely to try)
This is a very good, safe, and effective method. What happened to you is very common because when trying to catch a horse walking away from you it is very easy to walk right into the kicking zone without thinking.

I am so upset. Not about the pain but mostly that she kicked me as I thought we had an awesome bond but apparently she's evil.
Don't give up...your horse is just being a horse and it has nothing to do with having a good bond. Horses kick each other all the time, but your horse just needs to learn that kicking at you (or people) is never acceptable.

#3 ·
Been there done that, except it was a kick to the chest and thigh. All I can suggest is get aggressive. Keep up the ground and get on her a** about the little things and praise the good. Don't let this scare you, just stay more aware of the "danger signs".

#5 ·
A horse is a horse and the minute we forget that spells trouble. A "bond" to you means one thing, a bond to a horse means nothing.

I let my horses have graze time too but I always have them in a rope halter and lead. If they step on the lead, they quickly learn not to. Taking your horse to the round pen may work for a child who understands what they did because you explained it them but a horse forgot what it did 3 seconds after it happened. Your horse acted like it was innate it do in the wild - another horse steps into her space - kick it away. Be mindful of the fact that this is a horse and always approach from the side or front - not the back.

Overall, selling this horse for another will not solve the problem - the problem is you. You forget that it is a horse and not a Labrador Reteriver. There was an old song about a woman who finds a snake nearly frozen to death and takes it in to heal it. As it gets better, she sees how beautiful it is and goes to kiss it. The snake bites her and she says to the snake, why did you do that? I healed you and now I'm going to die because your bite is poisonous. The snake says to her - silly woman, you knew what I was when you took me in.

#6 ·
I have been there. I was kicked by my last horse. I was leading her through a gate, and let her go without turning her head back to me. She jumped away and kicked out with both hinds, and caught me on the chest and on the chin, and broke my jaw in two places. I understand the fear that you have now.

For me, the way to get past it was to accept that I was in the wrong. Not because she kicked, because that was just her being a cow. I was in the wrong because I put myself in a position where she could kick me. From then on, I have never been in that position. I am VERY conscious of where the horse's butt end is, and make sure I am never within kicking range.

Don't sell her. It is easy enough to get past it, you just have to get past it. It is terrifying, and believe me, I understand that. My kick was five and a bit years ago, and I haven't gone past a horse's back end without thinking of it, but it makes me safer to always be thinking of it.

Reactions: tinyliny
#8 ·
iride and chiilaa have given you some good advice.

I got kicked a while back also, for the same reason chiilaa did....i was scared and nervous around horses for a while after that, but I quickly realized that the incident was MY fault...and I changed the careless behavior that caused the incident.

A horse is a horse, getting another will not fix the problem. YOU need to change what you did that put yourself in the position to be kicked.

My boy is a kicker...he kicks out of happiness, he kicks at horseflies, he kicks out of frustration, he kicks out of excitement, he kicks out of impatience, he kicks out of anger....

We can alleviate the kicking tendencies to a large extent with intense training...but we will never obliterate it entirely. He is a horse. Even with the best training, one day he will kick out....it is up to US to make sure we are not in his strike range at that time.

Our other horse is a general non kicker. In the years we've had her, she has never kicked out at us or another horse.....doesn't mean she won't ever do it.....she is still a horse. It is to our advantage to NEVER forget that...

I am also curious as to why a lead is left on while grazing....

#9 ·
It is easy to get complacent around your horse when it is being good. Then they do something nasty and you remember how dangerous they can be. Been there done that. LOL!
I'm with Tiny and would have worked her right there, but when you are hurt sometimes that is easier said than done.
Glad it wasn't broken.

#10 ·
I agree with iride-you need to remember that she's a horse, and she doesn't understand the concept of a bond. She is not evil at all-she's simply learned that she has the upper hand in your relationship and that she doesn't have to respect you.

The way you stop that attitude is stop trying to form a friendship bond with her. Start treating her like a horse, and be the leader. Both of you will be a lot happier, and the bond you form because of it will be a lot safer and more rewarding.

There are tons of posts on this forum about disrespect issues, and how to get a horse to respect you. This problem started before you went out to catch her, and has probably been brewing a long time. I bet she has given you tons of warning signs-this kick did not come out of the blue.

Good luck, be safe, and glad to hear you are ok.

#13 ·
Um, she's a horse. She's not "evil," and you don't have a great "bond," either. She responded the way a horse would respond in that situation (to being chased). Familiarize yourself more with horse behavior and you'll see that, while she shouldn't have done that, you set yourself up to be kicked.

#15 ·
Um, she's a horse. She's not "evil," and you don't have a great "bond," either. She responded the way a horse would respond in that situation (to being chased). Familiarize yourself more with horse behavior and you'll see that, while she shouldn't have done that, you set yourself up to be kicked.

Please be nice and considerate of what happened.I am still shocked that it happened.. I know my horse is not "evil". I said it more as a joke. I was blinded by everything at that moment. I was determined and I ended up getting hurt. Now I have to teach her that it isn't acceptable and I will be more concious of the warning signs for now on.

I am trying not too look for sympathy but am shocked as Gidget has never been considered a kicker.I'm just looking for help and information as this is the first time I've been officially kicked.

#14 ·
Thank you,EVERYONE!

I emailed my trainer from Three Gaits. She told me to use carrots and a whip.If she turns her rear to me than whack her.If she faces me give her a carrot. I think this will work with her. I'm going to try it.
I shouldn't have taken her to the round pen and work her. I was told to do that a long time ago and to do tie-ups...I guess it's the cowboy way..not sure. It was also revenge as I was so upset. I cried for an hour off and on as I was shocked. I was blinded by the warning signs and ended up in kicking range. I trusted her waaaay too much and forgot that horses are dangerous. Now I have officially learned my lesson.

I love my horse and I don't want to sell her due to the fact that I have a bond with the monster(saying that in a loving way) and if I sold her people could get hurt as Gidget does have a nasty attitude but she has come a long ways when I first got her. She was absolutely horrible. Also she colics and no one would like to own a colicy horse. Atleast no one I know.

Oh,before I forget. I also think I might keep a rope halter on her with a lead. I have done this as she is easier to catch and I am always there watching her. Should I still let her out to the grass is greener on the other side? Or stop?

#16 ·
Should I still let her out to the grass is greener on
the other side? Or stop?
Don't let this incident change what you want to do for her...you're the boss and if you want to let her out, let her out. Your horse must adjust to you e.g. not kicking, not the other way around.

#17 ·
Not knocking anyone else, each owner gauges their own unique circumstances and risk. However I would not recommend leaving a rope on in general and especially not with a rope halter (immense pressure needed to break on) I don't even leave a halter on a horse. It's easy for them to get it trapped and horses do break necks that way on occasion. If a horse is difficult to catch them that tells me something and I work on the problem rather than around it.

#45 ·
The horse was not turned out to pasture. It was kept in a little area I assume wasn't fenced in. I do the same thing with Savanna. I put a stiff lead on her and a rope halter and drop her in the little area between the indoor arena and the barn. I sit down, lean up against the barn, and watch her graze (and usually browse HF on my phone). It's very relaxing, actually :) Putting a stiff lead on a colt and turning him out in a small paddock is how we get them used to pressure on their heads. After a few days, they get used to it, and the stiff lead can't wrap around their legs.

#19 ·
I appreciate this thread becuase it reminds me to not be so complacent. I have never really been kicked (only once got kicked when aboard a horse that was the target of another horse and my leg got in the way).

So, it reminds me to be more careful and less trusting. Mac has NEVER kicked but other good horses might.

I , too, will allow Mac to graze for short periods of time in our greenest paddock. I call it the "green room" (after television's green rooms). I leave his halter on and the lead and allow him to roam and eat the lush grass for about 15 minutes. I am sitting nearby . There are things he could hook onto , that's why I stay nearby. He knows how to release himself if he steps on the lead and I make sure the rope halter is properly fitted so that the rope does NOT hang down on the portion of the nose that is cartilage. I would never do this leaving him unattended. He is unhaltered in his pasture.

#20 ·
I have DEFIENTLY learned my lesson. I'm was relieved when I wiggled my leg on the ground. I always lay there for awhile if I take a fall or something just to make sure I didn't break anything.

I talked to my mom this morning and told her I decided not to sell her and won't let the idea cross my mind again.

I will make sure to do some ground work with her and not treat her like a big dog. All animals are dangerous.

#21 ·
Gidget, this works with all horses of all temperments. Take a stout stick at least 4' long and wear comfortable footwear and be prepared to walk her down. Leave your anger, impatience at the gate. Keep the stick pointed to the ground and behind you. It is there, in case. Circle around, oh 30' away until you are directly behind her, in her blind area. If she's grazing, good, then run directly toward her rump with lots of energy and wave your arms out sideways so you look huge. She will likely take off and that's what you want. Again get in behind her and do the same thing. She will start keeping an eye on you but one eye isn't good enough, you want both eyes. What is going on here is you are moving her off her grazing spot like a dominant horse will. So you are letting her know that you are the dominant one, not her. When she will face you with both eyes stand still, lean forward a little so you appear smaller and extend your slightly closed hand. She may come and touch it, or not. If she doesn't, step back a few paces, wait a few seconds then step forward and reach again. Don't try to touch her, she must come the last inch. If she turns and walks away or suddenly bolts away your must immediately turn and walk in the opposite direction. Begin your circling and chasing again. Take the time to do this now and do it 4 or 5 times day if you can. The goal isn't to catch her just yet but that when you enter the field and walk toward her that she will immediately turn her hiney away and face you, no ifs, ands, or buts. I did this while the horse was not wearing a halter. I knew it was working when he stood quietly for haltering. When you first chase the horse, you are just chasing it off the spot it was eating. Don't run past that. That is now your spot, for a few seconds. She may run a good distance at first but if you always stop at her spot she'll get so it's only a few strides. And believe me, she'll be trying to figure out what's going on. Most horses don't like to be the dominant horse as that's the one that rarely gets to relax. It's job is to keep the herd safe. It's much easier to keep an eye on the dominant horse and you will find that as you assert your dominance she will become willing to keep an eye on you, altho you want both eyes. There's an old cowboy adage, Beware the horse that watches you with one eye.

#22 ·
Gidget, this works with all horses of all temperments. Take a stout stick at least 4' long and wear comfortable footwear and be prepared to walk her down. Leave your anger, impatience at the gate. Keep the stick pointed to the ground and behind you. It is there, in case. Circle around, oh 30' away until you are directly behind her, in her blind area. If she's grazing, good, then run directly toward her rump with lots of energy and wave your arms out sideways so you look huge. She will likely take off and that's what you want. Again get in behind her and do the same thing. She will start keeping an eye on you but one eye isn't good enough, you want both eyes. What is going on here is you are moving her off her grazing spot like a dominant horse will. So you are letting her know that you are the dominant one, not her. When she will face you with both eyes stand still, lean forward a little so you appear smaller and extend your slightly closed hand. She may come and touch it, or not. If she doesn't, step back a few paces, wait a few seconds then step forward and reach again. Don't try to touch her, she must come the last inch. If she turns and walks away or suddenly bolts away your must immediately turn and walk in the opposite direction. Begin your circling and chasing again. Take the time to do this now and do it 4 or 5 times day if you can. The goal isn't to catch her just yet but that when you enter the field and walk toward her that she will immediately turn her hiney away and face you, no ifs, ands, or buts. I did this while the horse was not wearing a halter. I knew it was working when he stood quietly for haltering. When you first chase the horse, you are just chasing it off the spot it was eating. Don't run past that. That is now your spot, for a few seconds. She may run a good distance at first but if you always stop at her spot she'll get so it's only a few strides. And believe me, she'll be trying to figure out what's going on. Most horses don't like to be the dominant horse as that's the one that rarely gets to relax. It's job is to keep the herd safe. It's much easier to keep an eye on the dominant horse and you will find that as you assert your dominance she will become willing to keep an eye on you, altho you want both eyes. There's an old cowboy adage, Beware the horse that watches you with one eye.
I have done this with horses in our 40 acre field, in a herd of 15 animals. Sometimes I get the horse to come to me, sometimes I don't have the time to pursue it to successfully drawing the horse in. Forty acres is a big place. However, I have never heard of the advice I highlighted.
If the horse turns and bolts from me, I immediately put on larger pressure, just for the split second that they swung their butt toward me, then I resume walking them down.

#23 ·
You have had some very good advice here but I want to tell you a little story.

My right knee is missing the medial miniscus and has a torn cruciate ligament from a horse kicking. In this case I was fully cognizant of the dangers of kicking and approaching horses. What happened is I was told to go to the herd and separate a gelding out and put him in a different field. He was in a run in area and I was told to take him from there, thru a door into the stable and out the other side to the field he was to be in.

As I was separating him out, the dominant mare came flying into the run in shed area (it was a huge roofed area with standing stalls where the herd was fed grain). She caught him "alone" and came at him running backward and kicking at him. I was yelling and she was ignoring me.. and I got caught in the cross fire (it happened very quickly). One of her kicks got my knee and dropped me which was a damned good thing because her next kick would have exploded my head against a concrete wall. She kicked again and finally landed one on her target (the gelding) who took off thru the door I was intending to lead him thru when all this went down.

I crawled out the door myself and got is shut and she was on the other side pawing the ground.... still wanting to eat that gelding.

I have had two knee surgeries and do physical therapy daily to keep the support structure for my knee strong. Now, 26 years later I was just issued an off loading brace. Eventually I will need knee replacement. I am trying to put this off until after I cross the rainbow bridge.. but I may not be successful...

This was a riding stable where there were kids. The mare was sent down the road.. as they could not risk her doing this again (and there is no doubt in my mind she would have). What made her a danger was the fact that she totally IGNORED my yelling, arm waving and the rest as she was so intent on 'punishing' the gelding for not being in the herd. My presence was simply not important.

My point is this is the first time Giget has done this to you. She is, as everyone says here, being a horse. Her behavior, for all its 'horse-ness' is unacceptable and you need to be 100% committed to making sure that you never get in firing range again and that she understands she is never to fire at you again. She needs to understand that YOU are important.

As you have noted.. horses are not like pet dogs. There is no Fury, Flicka, Mr. Ed or The Black Stallion.

Horses are not as domesticated as we would like to believe.

#24 ·
One thing that you can observe in a group of horses. If a horse kicks another horse, they scuffle, decide who is boss, and then they are still friends. All is forgiven. No grudge is held. Therefore, there is no reason to feel bad if you are forced to slap a horse with a crop because she is about to kick you. Horses don't really care who is in charge. They just need to know who is in charge. It needs to be you. Don't blame the horse. Just be careful and correct any aggressive behavior. Everybody gets kicked. Everybody gets thrown. I hope you are ok now. The horse still likes you fine.

#25 ·
Sorry you were kicked, but as other said, don't take it personally. She was being a horse, that's all. I do wish you had made the moments following that a living hell for her, but what's done is done. Once your knee is feeling better, I would do some ground schooling with her to make sure she understands who is boss. She moves her feet when you say so, not the other way around.

My horse tried to challenge me once, but even as he attempted to kick out, he did it just far enough away where it barely landed. He knew that was a bad idea as soon as he threw it. He ran off in the other direction, and I chased him around that paddock for the next 20 seconds or so. A minute later we were back hanging out like buddies. It's just what horses do. Test the waters every now and then and accept whatever the outcome is.

#27 ·
Gidget, I'm sure, from your words, that you understand the reason(s) that your horse went to kick at you, & also the reason that the kick made contact ;), so 'nuff said there.

I also think that, since you did the punishment stuff, it'd be very educational for you to recall the effects of that upon her: after her being round penned & tied up, what was her demeanor toward you? Did she trust you less/perceive you as her leader less, etc? I, for one, am very interested to know.

Re: bonding: horses don't care how much you know till they know how much you care. "Horses don't care about a bond" isn't true. It's just that along with the love, they need leadership & language, in 3 equal parts.

Re: halters/leads in a field on a loose horse: a horse often scratches his cheek with a hind hoof, & horses have gotten their hind hooves caught in a halter doing so, with disastrous results.

#30 ·
Gidget, I'm sure, from your words, that you understand the reason(s) that your horse went to kick at you, & also the reason that the kick made contact ;), so 'nuff said there.

I also think that, since you did the punishment stuff, it'd be very educational for you to recall the effects of that upon her: after her being round penned & tied up, what was her demeanor toward you? Did she trust you less/perceive you as her leader less, etc? I, for one, am very interested to know.

After I lunged Gidget she did behave but when I saddled her up (she is girthy) she looked at me and it looked to me that she wanted to bite so I pushed her head away. I don't think tying her up did anything other than make me feel better.

#32 ·
Gidget, I feel your pain. Cookie decided she forgot her ground manners the last two days and proceeded to toss her head in the air while I tried to halter her, stomp on my foot and run off.

Ouch.

I did the same thing you did with your girl. First time it happened I tossed her in the ring and ran her butt off. It only made me tired and got my frustration out but it did nothing to fix her behavior. Too much delay between her fit and my punishment.

She was very well behaved afterward, but today she pulled the same stunt when I went out to catch her. This time I just chased her down in the field with the golf cart till she didn't want to run anymore.

This from a horse that has been perfectly fine to catch and halter for the last year. It's something in the air. All the horses at the barn have bugs up their butts lately.

I'm glad you didn't get more seriously hurt by that kick! Those hooves can really smart. Hang in there, it will get better with her the more you work on it.

#35 ·
I want a golf cart just to ride around in and round up the horses :P

Gidget came right up to me today. I did work her though and I feel that we had a good day. I will just keep up with it. I'm the type that HATES ground work and always puts it off but not anymore.

#36 ·
Ouch... I was kicked a few weeks ago, but by a mini so not only was she half gidgets size, she also had smaller surface area to kick me with :lol:

I was letting Gemma out to grass for the day, and had quite a long leadrope on her halter, and im thankful I did because she ripped it out of one of my hands, took a few quick steps forwards, and sent both back legs in my direction, both of which got me in the thigh. But I have quick reactions :lol: so just as soon as she kicked me, I got a steel caribeena(sp?) right over her rump. She was also lead away from the paddock to try it again the nice way. She was pretty shocked by that one and hasnt tried anything naughty since.

-Note, I know I know, steel caribeena, Bad Holly *smacks hand* but that mini horse is the right height to be able to kick my sister in the chest/head area if she wants, so at the time I didnt particularly care what I whacked her with, so long as she got the message, and get the message she did.
(Carribeena is tied to the end of her lead rope to she can be hooked onto a fence at home for grazing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.