The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Training Aids For The Well Balanced Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/training-aids-well-balanced-horse-94998/)

ToHotToTrot 08-14-2011 01:18 PM

Training Aids For The Well Balanced Horse

My horse has an inconsistant speed when it comes to the canter, and her head tends to rise even at the trot. Im currently training her to jump but in order to have a good hunter jumper you need a balanced, consistant horse. I do work with a trainer once a week, which is obviously not enough. I want her to see progress with my horse and I each week I work with her. I feel that with an aid I can achieve the results I want. I Just confused as to what to use. Something I can lunge with and mabey ride with. The only thing I am worried about is what happens when it comes off. Does it become natural movement to her or does she go back to what she has always done? How often sould I use it? Should I use it every time I ride? How long for? How do I know when she will not need it anymore? What aid would you recommend?

Thanks for listening!
- ToHotToTrot

Spyder 08-14-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToHotToTrot (Post 1136251)
My horse has an inconsistant speed when it comes to the canter, and her head tends to rise even at the trot. Im currently training her to jump but in order to have a good hunter jumper you need a balanced, consistant horse. I do work with a trainer once a week, which is obviously not enough. I want her to see progress with my horse and I each week I work with her. I feel that with an aid I can achieve the results I want. I Just confused as to what to use. Something I can lunge with and mabey ride with. The only thing I am worried about is what happens when it comes off. Does it become natural movement to her or does she go back to what she has always done? How often sould I use it? Should I use it every time I ride? How long for? How do I know when she will not need it anymore? What aid would you recommend?

Thanks for listening!
- ToHotToTrot

Just what "IT" are you using?

ToHotToTrot 08-14-2011 01:30 PM

Im not sure what you mean?

Spyder 08-14-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToHotToTrot (Post 1136261)
Im not sure what you mean?

You original post is confusing.

You keep referring to "it"

Quote:

The only thing I am worried about is what happens when it comes off.

So WHAT will come off...training or some device???

Tymer 08-14-2011 01:41 PM

She is looking for recommendations of an aid that will help her horse be more consistent and also have a lower head set. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Unfortunately, there are no devices that will teach that. Some may produce a false head set for you, but like you predicted, it does not last after the aid comes off. Also, these can be uncomfortable for the horse and can make them have other problems under saddle.

I think your solution is consistent training. I'm sorry to say I can't help you with that part. Training is not my expertise.

ToHotToTrot 08-14-2011 01:42 PM

Oh, the whole time I was talking about the training aid "it" Haha

Doe 08-14-2011 02:32 PM

How old is your horse and how much work have they done previously?
When you say an inconsistent speed when it comes to the canter what do you mean? What does your horse do?

ToHotToTrot 08-14-2011 02:48 PM

My horse is seven. I have been the only one working with her and I have balanced her in the means of she being able to move off pressure and has no trouble picking up both leads, even the occasional lead change. When I am cantering she tends to speed up then slow and repeats her self. I feel that in the canter she is moving more on her front end than her hind. I would like her to lift up her rib cage and work off her hind more both in the canter and trot.

Hope that helps!(:

Doe 08-14-2011 02:59 PM

Sounds like she is dropping a shoulder, then regaining herself, then dropping a shoulder again. This would cause the speed up, slow, speed up again.

The key is to ask why she is dropping a shoulder (if that is the case) also you have to ask why is she lifting her head?

I would be checking both the saddle fit, positioning and girthing. Any contact in the trapezius region will cause head lifting. Similarly make sure the shoulder is free and not weighted nor the girth too tight or close to the elbow.

How is she when she canters on the lunge?

ToHotToTrot 08-14-2011 03:07 PM

On the lunge she is completly sound. That shoulder idea you brought up is quite intresting. I have just a little trouble feeling the drop of her shoulder. But ill ask my trainer about it. I am in the market for a new saddle and hopefully when I do find one she will be happier. I have been using my trainer's so its not the perfect fit.
Thanks for your help!