The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Silversand Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/silversand-horsemanship-95009/)

henia 08-14-2011 03:02 PM

Silversand Horsemanship

Yesterday I had a great opportunity to take part in the Silversand Horsemanship clinic, but just in one day of three. For a long time I didn't take part in clinics and it was great to see other people working with horses, to listen about it from instructor. Before this clinic I hadn't had any experience with Silversand, just heard that something like this exists.
Our Polish instructor of Silversand, Monika Damec, work with horses in a way I really like and I was very pleased watching her.
Do you know anything about Silversand? What do you think of it? :)

Doe 08-14-2011 03:31 PM

Are you talking of the Halfpenny's Silversand?

If so it's standard NH fare. Yielding to suggestion and direct pressure just as any other form, Parelli, CA etc though I suspect he was exposed to Dave Stuart given his choice of language.

Glad you enjoyed it.

tinyliny 08-14-2011 03:51 PM

Henia,

I have never heard of Silversand before reading your post.
would you like to explain what you learned?

henia 08-14-2011 05:00 PM

I watched five horses during individual lessons and there was theoretical lecture. In Silvesand I didn't notice anything characteristic like 7 games in PNH. There were exercises for giving to pressure, using suggestion, working on circles, trailor loading, but it is everywhere. Though when watching Monika I was impressed how softly she did everything! I learned a lot about observing horse's feelings, emotions and how look on horses behaviour and head to see it. It's very important when we want to be soft. Monika didn't do anything for what horse is not ready. It's great! But when a situation needs it she can be firm. It was also great. I think it is very hard to teach others how to work with horses this way. People I watched were not confidence and assertive because they were trying to be ONLY soft. I think that's a big problem, because it made horses with lack of respect and so on.
Also everything was on very low amount of energy (which not always is good in my opinion). Relaxation of horse was very very important. Horse must be ready for task we give him.
I heard also about very nice saying :) We need to be like electric fence: clear rules, no agression (have you ever seen electric fence which following horse to kick him prophylactically?), immediate release :)

Doe 08-14-2011 05:35 PM

Henna. Read this thread. It will explain how it all works and it's foundation (even the analogies are the same such as the electric fence)

http://www.horseforum.com/natural-ho...-method-89977/

henia 08-15-2011 04:28 AM

I know how in general natural methods works, they are very similar (horses are the same all over the world :) ). I just wanted to show atmosphere in working with horses on the clinic I saw, because THIS is different :)