The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Lena's Foaling Thread (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/lenas-foaling-thread-95035/)

Ladybug2001 08-14-2011 06:55 PM

Lena's Foaling Thread

Well, five months into the pregnancy, I have decided from now on every month on the 14th (The date we are using as a guesstimation of when she was bred.) I will do an update.

I know five months is pretty early to start anything, but it will keep me busy for the next 6 months.

I don't expect a dozen replies until closer to the tenth month. Though at least this way everyone will know when we are closing in.

Just to catch a few people up on this long journey of mine---

I bought a rescue horse back in April, the people said she was probably about five months pregnant. She had been running with a stallion for a long time, had two foals nursing off of her, one wasn't hers the other was. Even after being taken from her abusive owner, the bank put the horses on some other person that kept the stallion with her.(And the other ten mares and yearlings.) When I bought her, I had the vet come out to do an ultrasound and she came up open at the time. Five months went past and things didn't seem right with her stomach, she had put on all the weight she needed and extra. The vet came out for a check-up, on her own said, "Either I missed a pregnancy or she is having a false pregnancy." She then did a palpation and said the uterus falls under the pelvic brim and repeated the words. Having a 50/50 answer, I bought a weefoal test for 120-300 days. It came out with a very strong positive, so here we go.

She is due to foal around December through March. Vet had said she was anywhere from 16-30 days pregnant at the first ultrasound and was why she couldn't see it. With the last palpation the vet put her anywhere from 5-8 months pregnant... Um, I have an amazing vet? (Doesn't specialize in Equine.) Anywho, so logic says 4-5 months pregnant.

So, today at "five" months pregnant.---
  • Continually picked on by the other mare, even though she is way bigger.
  • Just... fat and slow. Always has been.
  • About to move her and the other mare to a second pasture in hopes to grow some new grass.
  • Going to start renovating the lean-to into a makeshift weather-proof stall.
  • Vet should be coming out in September for a Rhino vaccination. (Said better late then early.)
Also, as we get closer to being due I would love for some people to make some guessing on the date, color, and sex of the foal.

A little info on both the parents.

Dam-
Registered name: Sickum Doc Olena
Color: Chestnut Tobiano
Birth: April of 1998

Sire-
Registered name: Pee Ridge Loudcloud
Color: Black and White Overo
Birth: 1998

This foal has a good chance of making it into the world. Not that I plan on selling him/her, but at least if I have to it will be registered and has some good lines going for it.

Also, name suggestions would be awesome. I'm obsessing a tiny bit, I have a word document started for keeping track of her pregnancy and putting down some name possibilities. I would love if I could find a name that merges both sire and dam together.

So, I suppose the next update will be in a month. :D

ilovemyPhillip 08-14-2011 10:18 PM

Sickum Loudcloud? Lol good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

thegoldenpony 08-15-2011 01:35 PM

Another foal thread to make me impatient! You've probably cursed yourself to a very long pregnancy. :wink:

I like the name Sickum Loudcloud though, not sure for a stable name. What breed is Lena and the sire?

Ladybug2001 08-15-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegoldenpony (Post 1137414)
Another foal thread to make me impatient! You've probably cursed yourself to a very long pregnancy. :wink:

I like the name Sickum Loudcloud though, not sure for a stable name. What breed is Lena and the sire?

I probably have cursed myself, though the last five months will never be topped.

They are both registered American Paint Horses.

Lena's side is mostly Quarter Horses bred to I seen her dad, he is beautiful.

Joker's has Throughbred and paint all scrambled around. He also is beautiful, my dad had to help catch him for some people that bought him the same day I bought Lena.

I also seen Lena's yearling foal, she looked more like Joker, not a speck of brown to be seen.

Though there was a bay foal that was nursing off Lena, hasn't been decided whether or not it was actually her foal. There was a bay mare that died after being rescued.

I will add Sickum Loudcloud to the choices. :D

Oh, and here is Lena's pedigree.
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/sickum+doc+olena

And I just added Joker's.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/pee+ridge+loudcloud

Katze 08-15-2011 06:48 PM

What about Doc Pee for a name ;P ?

csimkunas6 08-15-2011 06:53 PM

Subbing......looking forward to seeing a paint baby :)

Ladybug2001 08-15-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csimkunas6 (Post 1137789)
Subbing......looking forward to seeing a paint baby :)

Paint momma paint daddy... IT HAS TO BE A PAINT.

Oh yes, wonderful logics. Makes it slightly easy on guessing. Though brown and white momma black and white daddy... hmm.

6 monrths of torturing all of this forum, welcome to the world I've been living in for five months without a 100% yes or no until a few weeks ago. Keep the names coming. Doc Pee isn't to bad. O:
Posted via Mobile Device

csimkunas6 08-15-2011 08:39 PM

LOL,

Im not too good at names at all, but I was playing around a little bit....

Sickum Ridge
Sickum Pee Ridge
Sickum Cloud Olena
Doc Ridge
Doc Pee Ridge
Doc Loudcloud
Doc Cloud Olena
Olena Ridge
Olena Loudcloud
Olena Cloud
O.P. Ridge Cloud
Ridged Sickum Cloud

Chiilaa 08-15-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladybug2001 (Post 1137874)
Paint momma paint daddy... IT HAS TO BE A PAINT.

LOL You have cursed yourself now. Prepare for a minimal expression :lol::lol:

csimkunas6 08-15-2011 08:42 PM

^^Hahaha that would be too funny, no offense to you OP....that would just be your luck though, a solid paint :D