Votes: 50 61.0%
  • Colt

Votes: 32 39.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lena's Foaling Thread

138K views 1K replies 90 participants last post by  Ladybug2001 
#1 ·
Well, five months into the pregnancy, I have decided from now on every month on the 14th (The date we are using as a guesstimation of when she was bred.) I will do an update.

I know five months is pretty early to start anything, but it will keep me busy for the next 6 months.

I don't expect a dozen replies until closer to the tenth month. Though at least this way everyone will know when we are closing in.

Just to catch a few people up on this long journey of mine---

I bought a rescue horse back in April, the people said she was probably about five months pregnant. She had been running with a stallion for a long time, had two foals nursing off of her, one wasn't hers the other was. Even after being taken from her abusive owner, the bank put the horses on some other person that kept the stallion with her.(And the other ten mares and yearlings.) When I bought her, I had the vet come out to do an ultrasound and she came up open at the time. Five months went past and things didn't seem right with her stomach, she had put on all the weight she needed and extra. The vet came out for a check-up, on her own said, "Either I missed a pregnancy or she is having a false pregnancy." She then did a palpation and said the uterus falls under the pelvic brim and repeated the words. Having a 50/50 answer, I bought a weefoal test for 120-300 days. It came out with a very strong positive, so here we go.

She is due to foal around December through March. Vet had said she was anywhere from 16-30 days pregnant at the first ultrasound and was why she couldn't see it. With the last palpation the vet put her anywhere from 5-8 months pregnant... Um, I have an amazing vet? (Doesn't specialize in Equine.) Anywho, so logic says 4-5 months pregnant.

So, today at "five" months pregnant.---

• Continually picked on by the other mare, even though she is way bigger.
  • Just... fat and slow. Always has been.
  • About to move her and the other mare to a second pasture in hopes to grow some new grass.
  • Going to start renovating the lean-to into a makeshift weather-proof stall.
  • Vet should be coming out in September for a Rhino vaccination. (Said better late then early.)
Also, as we get closer to being due I would love for some people to make some guessing on the date, color, and sex of the foal.

A little info on both the parents.

Dam-
Registered name: Sickum Doc Olena
Color: Chestnut Tobiano
Birth: April of 1998

Sire-
Registered name: Pee Ridge Loudcloud
Color: Black and White Overo
Birth: 1998

This foal has a good chance of making it into the world. Not that I plan on selling him/her, but at least if I have to it will be registered and has some good lines going for it.

Also, name suggestions would be awesome. I'm obsessing a tiny bit, I have a word document started for keeping track of her pregnancy and putting down some name possibilities. I would love if I could find a name that merges both sire and dam together.

So, I suppose the next update will be in a month. :D

See less See more
#40 ·
A great article Katze, with some great information.

Ladybug, please don't feel like we are saying you are wrong, or that you are doing anything irresponsible. We all know that you did not breed Lena, and that you are making the best of the situation she was in before you got her. My initial suggestion to test her was so that you could be prepared if there was a chance of LWO.

#45 ·
I've never heard of frame... is it bad or harmful? sorry i live in my own little bubble.

oh and im subscribing to your thread because i cant wait to see your little foals, i get totally excited when someone posts a thread about having a foal :)

#46 ·
Frame in its heterozygous (single gene) form is harmless. Only when it is homozygous (double gene) is it lethal. In order for a lethal to be born, both sire and dam have to be carriers (heterozygous) of frame. Frame x Frame breeding gives you a 25% chance of a foal with no frame gene, 50% chance of foal heterozygous for frame and 25% chance of a foal that is homozygous for frame and will not live past 72 hours. If not humanly euthanized, lethal foals suffer horribly and die from colic like symptoms. Lethal foals are born with an incomplete digestive tract.

#51 ·
I realize you can not tell if a horse has frame or not. Though to have frame, frame has to be present in the bloodlines? If there is no overo or frames within her bloodline, for as far as I can see, the possibility is high she doesn't have it, but there is that chance. I don't plan on breeding her again, and I would rather not know the demise of having a OLW foal.. I'll just hope for the best.

Though here is the only side view picture of, Joker that I have.

Nature Organism Brown Natural environment Vertebrate

#55 ·
I realize you can not tell if a horse has frame or not. Though to have frame, frame has to be present in the bloodlines? If there is no overo or frames within her bloodline, for as far as I can see, the possibility is high she doesn't have it, but there is that chance. I don't plan on breeding her again, and I would rather not know the demise of having a OLW foal.. I'll just hope for the best.
The problem with trying to guess if she has LWO from her bloodlines is that the person who bred her did that, as did the people who bred her parents, her grandparents, etc. Without testing, there is no way to tell just from looking at a pedigree, since frame can be so minimal that there is NO white on the horse at all (the same can go for tobiano, sabino and splash too).

#54 ·
On the not having overos in Lena's pedigree thing...

Being as all of them are registered as AQHA while the white rule was in place, the only way you would know if any of them were carriers would be to test them. More than likely if they produced overo foals they would have been registered with the APHA at that time.

#59 ·
Well today was the 14th, which marks the 6 month period for Lena.

Incase I haven't explained before, vet is going by her being pregnant in April, and not March like I am. Though, the reason for her going with April is for the shots she is late instead of early.

Which brings me to the update, the only thing I have is her first Rhino shot will be given sometime this month.

Here is a question for everyone, what do you think March or April, which month was she bred? I think March, just me.

Brown Organism Horse Landscape Terrestrial animal

#60 ·
she looks so much better than the first picture you posted, kudos to that! Also, im really pulling for a healthy, loud foal! i like the name oleanas cloud.

#62 ·
Well, the 14th of this month marked the 7th month of Lena's pregnancy. Though as we all know, its just as guess since no one knows when she was bred and the parents didn't want to pay for an ultrasoud, especially after our vet said she could possibly not see it?

Anywho, I just got this picture from the woman who sold us Lena.

Brown Landscape Horse Mammal Plain

This is Lena's filly she had last year. Back with the subject of frame, the filly is obviously frame, unfortunatly.
Beautiful girl though.

Can't believe another month has past. Farrier things she will give before February. Mom thinks closer to December or January.

#63 ·
I know its not the day yet, but there are a few updates to behold.

It is officially fall here, so that means putting on the blankets. Lena's blanket has to have the straps loosened fully to fit her stomach which is still a tight snug fit afterward. The earthquakes that have been rocking this state has got her a little on edge, which isn't helping her situation. Also, I've noticed her laying down a lot more than usual. When we first got her she never laid down, pretty much refused to even if she was wet. Now, she is laying down pretty much everday. I'm thinking she is getting so heavy that her pasterns are giving out a little bit. You can actually see them give a little when she walks, so I'll be talking to the vet later about that.

Also, don't know if anyone seen a while back but she had something going on with one of her teats. A small mass was on it, it was very strange. Well the next day, it pretty much had taken over her whole teat, but now its disappearing. So we are good in that line of buisness.

Second of all, I've went to the length of setting up two, wireless night vision camras in the place where she will be giving birth. I still have to tweak the inside of it, because its not a stall. Its a large lean-to that is kinda run down. I have to fix a few holes and make it level and then we got it going. I am debating on whether or not to put it up on a free live stream video site or not. I have a few people that would love to watch her just incase she gets into anything.

Horse Floor Working animal Dog breed Horse supplies

Figure next month we will start the guessing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.